270 win 270 ablr maybe closing in

Sas874runner

Handloader
Oct 10, 2012
Since the 150 ablr came out I have been fighting with this rifle to get these dang things to shoot. About 2 years into it off and on I maybe be closing in on a load. The first few attempts showed zero potential so I put them away and forgot about them. Now that life is getting back to normal I'm back to shooting and thought I would work on them again.

Attachments

• 20160929_184742.jpg
    20160929_184742.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 967
It does day so according to load data. But I have zero signs of pressure. Recoil is also much lighter than my load with 140 ab. I didn't see pressure signs until 64 gr.

It does say so according to load data. But I have zero signs of pressure. Recoil is also much lighter than my load with 140 ab. I didn't see pressure signs until 64 gr.

Sas874runner":awv1i3w1 said:
It does say so according to load data. But I have zero signs of pressure. Recoil is also much lighter than my load with 140 ab. I didn't see pressure signs until 64 gr.

This is going to be my 2nd year hunting with 150gr ABLR in my 270. I got up to 3018fps with 57.5gr/IMR-7828ssc and finally settled on 56.5gr @ 2959fps. I got pretty nice early season buck last year and used 270 as back-up rifle 4th season cow tag.

I drew 3rd season buck tag and I'll use 270 again. I live Black Forest and have Colorado Spring as my mailing address. Well good luck

Tom

Sas874runner":2esiarsr said:
It does day so according to load data. But I have zero signs of pressure. Recoil is also much lighter than my load with 140 ab. I didn't see pressure signs until 64 gr.

1) what barrel length?

2) what was the sign of pressure @ 64 grs?

Nosler shows just over 2900 fps with the best load they can muster in a 24" bbl with 61.5 grains of Mag Pro... 1.5-2.5 grains more is a significant jump.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Pressures are higher than they should be for that much increase in velocity. It is true different rifles will show pressure signs differently and at different times, plenty of good reading out there on the Internet about that. Just because the gun doesn't show signs doesn't mean it isn't over pressure especially with that much of an increase in powder charge.

Food for thought...

24 inch barrel. At 64 grains. Primers were starting to flatten and bolt lift was a bit sticky.

Time to move out to 300 yds. I've seen long for caliber bullets get tighter at longer distance....but ive seen just the opposite if they are marginally stabilized. I have a 308 that shoots 208 amaxes into tiny groups at 100....by the time they get to 300 its a shotgun....lol!
I've got to agree with others that has to be a warmish load but if primer pockets hold up nicely for 5-6 loads I wouldn't worry too much.

I started with new Norma brass this round. Last time as well. I gave up after about 5 loads out of them. Started using that brass for my 140 ab loads and they are still holding up after about another 5 firings. Primer pockets are still holding tight.

Norma seems to be a softer brass at least it sure is in the Weatherby Chamberings. I actually like using a softer brass like norma or federal when I'm pushing loads because they tell me what's going on before other brands will.

Back