270 Win 130 Grain Ballistic Tip QL?

ColColt":3kil4l5m said:
Only seven grand...hmmmm. I might spring for that one.:) You might not have divorce proceedings but if you're like most, you'd at least be in the dog house for a month. Women don't understand this insatiable appetite we suffer with.

Truer words were never spoken. I've often commented that rifles tend to cost me seven to ten thousand dollars by the time they are acquired. The price of home renovations, dining room suites, carpeting, etc. just continues to go up; and my lady manages to extract a goodly price each time I acquire a rifle. :grin:

I had a couple plumbers come out a few weeks ago to fix a leaky valve in the commode and replace the shutoff valve with one of those new 1/4 turn jobbies. Cost-$200 and I supplied the valve! I won't be using those guys again. I hate plumbing and rather do three electrical jobs than one plumbing.

I guess Ii got way off topic but that 7x57 could be given a good dose of old, "original" 140 gr Partition bullets I have in stock. These have never been opened. I forgot I had them when I had the 7mm Mag back in the early 70's

The 140 grain PT in a 7X57 produces an awesome load. It is more than adequate for most everything in my AO, and that includes some big critters.

I would imagine it would take care of about any creature on this continent other than brown or grizzly. I wouldn't be hunting those anyway. Nothing strikes fear in my heart more than those two. At the 1974 NRA Convention in Atlanta I got to meet sixgun legend Elmer Keith and Roy Weatherby. Roy had an array of full size trophies in his booth and one was a large grizzly or brownie...can't recall which but it was the biggest creature I'd ever seen with paws twice the size of both of my hands and claws that looked four inches or so long. I can't imagine getting within 300 yards of something like that. Yep, color me chicken.

A 7X57 with a decent load of PT bullets is better than a stick in the eye when facing a grizzly. It may not be the best thing to have, but it will help dissuade a bear intent on doing you physical harm.

Many thanks. I would have given a years pay when I was at the NRA convention in '74 to have met Jack O'Connor at the Outdoor Life booth as he was still alive then. As mentioned, I did get to meet Elmer Keith in front of the Guns and Ammo booth. I picked up a magazine they had at the time called "Black Powder Shooting" and turned around and saw this fellow with a tall cowboy hat and as he turned I saw a large Jade ring on his finger as he put a stubby cigar to his mouth. I noticed the bushy eyebrows and knew it could be but one fellow. I sauntered up to him and introduced myself and asked if he'd autograph my magazine. He said, "Sure will. I've got an article in this sumbeach somewhere" and as he fanned through the pages he found it and signed it. It's a treasure I still have.

Colcolt, the Winchester in the model 70 is a fine rifle in the 270win they are just plain and simple a great rifle. :wink: I am glad you have come on board, I think you will enjoy this forum.

Blessings,
Dan

Man, I would have really liked to meet EK. Pretty sure we could've chewed the fat for a few minutes.

There seems to be a bunch of nice folks here, unlike some forums I've been to...may have to stick around for awhile.:)

I felt rather lucky to have gotten to meet some of the folks I did at the NRA convention. It was my first and last, however. I met Elmer, Roy and Ed Weatherby, John Bianchi, Bob Munden(fast draw shooter) and reps from about all the major handgun/rifle manufacturers. It was a great experience.

You certainly named a few giants in the shooting field. I'm certain it was a great experience.

Back