270 Weatherby or 308 Norma Mag?

truck driver":1mk5ke2h said:
Gerry, you said something earlier that I didn't pick up on, quote; I have not been able to warm up to the 7mm Rem mag.
Need to elaborate on what you dislike about it since I'm having a similar problem with mine.
I bought it after selling my 300Bee because of the recoil .
I've been considering running a 7 MSM reamer into the chamber but waiting to see how the ones that own them here are fairing with them or maybe a 28 Nosler just not sure till I finish load development to see if the barrel is good on my rifle.

Man, with what you've shot so far your rifle seems good. With that last batch of loads using H1000 you looked real close to 3/4" with just a little seating depth adjustment. Did it take a turn?

truck driver":2bnujnm9 said:
Gerry, you said something earlier that I didn't pick up on, quote; I have not been able to warm up to the 7mm Rem mag.
Need to elaborate on what you dislike about it since I'm having a similar problem with mine.
I've been considering running a 7 MSM reamer into the chamber but waiting to see how the ones that own them here are fairing with them or maybe a 28 Nosler just not sure till I finish load development to see if the barrel is good on my rifle.

There is no problem with the round, mine is accurate with 154 gr Hornady's and IMR 4451 and IMR 7977. It's just the rifle looney thing of wanting something a bit different than what everyone else has, some people are like that with the 270 Win and 30-06 (which oddly enough I like). I can't explain it totally but other than the 280 Rem and 7mm Wby I can't warm up to most other 7mm's. Eventually I might just make myself like the round but for now I can't.

Have you been able to check for run out? Sometimes a die will produce crooked ammo but more common is brass that is crooked from the start. I'm really starting to like higher quality brass these days and feel they are worth the higher price.

filmjunkie4ever":2xokc9m1 said:
gerry":2xokc9m1 said:
I am leaning towards the 308 Norma to be honest. It will be pretty easy to find a take off barrel for my Rem 700 and have it rechambered to 308 Norma. Thinking about it now since it is winter, probably will look doing it in the spring provided we have a bit of extra money kicking around. Have 50 new brass already here.

The 270 Weatherby is a neat round but now that RL 26 can get a 150 gr bullet over 3000 fps safely in the 270 Win that starts narrow the gap a bit between them.

Gerry I am going to have to agree with the consensus of going with the 308 Norma Mag.

Plus you have a 7mm Rem Mag that will do what a .270 Weatherby Mag will do and with heavier bullets besides.

Be sure to post up pictures -

Dale

I will, I am about 95% sure it will be a 308 Norma Mag since that is what I like unless I find a killer deal on something else. I'm currently looking into seeing what a rebore of my 264 Win Mag would cost. There are apparently 2 guys in Canada at least that will do it and they both sound like they will do quality work.

SJB358":1uhkzrcp said:
truck driver":1uhkzrcp said:

Man, with what you've shot so far your rifle seems good. With that last batch of loads using H1000 you looked real close to 3/4" with just a little seating depth adjustment. Did it take a turn?
Nope, I haven't had a chance to get it back out though I have a bunch loaded for it with the bullets seated deeper in several steps. The weather is not cooperating right now and I got a phone call from my part time employer who wants me to work next week so we will see what it will do.
The 7mm Rem just doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that other calibers do if you know what I mean. I'm hoping it will when I get to shoot it more but I'm just not the magnum type of guy so it will have to be something special to endure me. :)

Gerry, I have seen some of Ron Smith's work over the years and it is good. I have been thinking if having him rebore a 30-30 to the 414 Super Mag. I talked to him about the project at the High Prairie gunshot last spring.

While I Have fired a 308 Norma Mag, and have read lots of good things about them (better accuracy than the 300 Win Mag and a longer neck, as well as better brass and ammo back in the day), personally I never did get interested as most of the rifles seen were rebarrelled Springfields. Just a rifle I never did cotton up to. I had one (30-06) briefly in 1988, but sold it a friends brother that was more excited about it than I was. The other drawback for me was the difficulty in finding ammo or brass over the years. Not the case anymore. (Pardon the pun!)

While reboring may not be as costly as rebarrelling, it can take longer to get the work done (minimum of a year unless Ron is excited about the project, as I have been told). I would look into a Benchmark barrel through Corlane's. It took less than 6 weeks for them to get in and rebarrel my Browning to the 6.5 Creedmoor last summer. I also prefer having the proper cartridge stamped on the side of the barrel, but not an issue if you have it tefloned or cerakoted after reboring.

It's good info to have, thanks Gil. There is something I just like about the 308 Norma, can't quite explain it.

The previous post asked about the 300 Win mag, great round but I just haven't been able to warm up to it yet. I did have a nice stainless laminate Ruger No.1 B in 300 WM I should have kept though, if I found it's twin at a decent price I would think about it.

Funny how we find ourselves interested in certain rifles and/or cartridges for no apparent reason other than "just because".

For me, with some cartridges, it is because I don't know anyone one else with one (it was that way for me and the 280 Rem, then the 6.5 Swede, 358 Win and the 376 Steyr). And I didn't want what everyone else had (such as the 30-06 and 270, the 308 Win or the 375 H&H. I know and recognize that they are great cartridges, but we're not unique in this area.

Other cartridges I came to be interested in was through introduction by a friend (the 375 Win, 338 Win Mag and 41 Rem Mag). After using on hunts and experiencing performance on game, I was impressed in their capabilities and trust their effectiveness.

Then there are the just because cartridges. For me it is the 225 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, the 338 Federal and the 338-06, and the 416 Taylor.

I'm glad we have such an array of choices, makes life a lot more interesting!

My Dad went from the 303 enfield, to a .308 Norma mag sometime in the 60's . He said it killed at both ends.lol.
Different times back then I'm sure the rifle just didn't fit him , he then traded it to a gun smith at the time named Bill Cowan, for the 7mm RM he has used ever since . About 50 years or better he has had that ol 7:
The 308 Norma always intrigued me too good luck on the search for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wager that you are correct in surmising that the rifle didn't fit him. The 308 Norma Mag is quite a refined cartridge that can be pleasant to shoot. When it comes to rifles that kick, of all the rifles that kicked from the bench, a 270 WSM I once shot gave me the most trouble. It was a custom rifle with a twenty inch barrel and a stock design that was terrible. That rifle broke two sets of muffs as I did load development on it. The rifle would twist and kick up whenever I shot it. I like the 270 WSM, but I did not like that rifle. The design ensured that it would slap me upside the head each time I shot it. Wonder if your dad had a similar experience.

I have a brother in law in Texas that has used a Mod 742 in 308 since the early 70's. His 'dream rifle" was and is a 308 Norma Magnum! He is too tight to actually get one, it would "mess up his dream", he says. ha So far, I myself am very intrigued with my new 358 Norma (Big Swede), I "may" have to some day get a 6.5x55 'Baby Swede" some day to keep it company! I am "pretty sure" I am the only 358NM user "in the mountains" where I hunt, ha. But there are a lot of 6.5x55 users out here, usually older guys, same with the 300 Savage. Its all a grand, wonderful adventure, isn't it?

I too have shot a 270wsm that I thought kicked me way more than it should. It was a Ruger with stainless barrel and it had a very thin stock, it was given to me as a loaner for the fall as my 375 H&H was down for a few months.
I chalked it up to a bad fit as well but it was sure better than trying to chase down game :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

I'm new to this forum. Reading the pro's and con's for the 270wby and 308Nm, I will tend go with the majority here, the 308NM. I have used this caliber now for 40 years in a Voere and Schultz & Larsen, it is easy to reload, the belt has never been a problem for me. Load it with the 200 gr NP, and you are safe for Grizzly bears. In the past I have used the Norma Powders 205, MRP, Re-load 22, and now just tried the Re-load 26??

Welcome aboard, Gunner. Glad to have you posting. I haven't shot the Voere, but I have handled and worked up loads for a coup0le of S&L chambered in .308 Norma Magnum. The cartridge allowed me to quickly get a good load. I've always liked the cartridge and I do enjoy the S&L rifles. Again, welcome aboard.

I have finally after 1½ year found new .270Wea brass overhere. Looking foreward to test new loads in my new barreled rifle with 1:8 twist. I hope Noslers ABLR will do good. In matter of .308Norma VS .270Wea I can only relate with my .300H&H which is in the same ballpark. Both will kill game up to 600 ibs easely when using 150-180grain bullets. As I have both, .270wea and a .300H&H I would say I really only need one of them. Both will fill the bill on euro game and african game up to kudu and gemsbok. I would in this case here choose the caliber that is easiest to find brass.

I'm Not an enabler, I'm not an enabler!!!
A who am I kidding..
f1dc095ddebdef3ba16f27827698ab2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes those are very nice rifles, good thing I'm left handed :)

You are correct, Gerry. Shultz & Larsen are excellent rifles. One chambered in 308 Norma would be just excellent! I worked up loads for two of those a couple of years back. They were sure a joy to work with.

Back