.270 Primer recommendation for H4831SC?

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
Does anybody have any recommendations for primers and any loads worked up or chronographed for the 150 ABLR with H4831SC?
Thanks!
Todd

I believe that any standard primer will work fine. I have used primarily CCI over my lifetime.

I also use more cc-200 primers than anything else in the .270. I gave both H4831sc and IMR-4831 a try with the 150 LRAB. The IMR version was considerably more accurate for my rifle. Certainly H4831 has worked well for many .270 shooters especially with 130 grain bullets.

Any large rifle primer will give you complete ignition with the .270 and H4831SC.

DrMike":2z3j027h said:
Any large rifle primer will give you complete ignition with the .270 and H4831SC.
Very true. I,ve used quite few ww primers the last couple of years due to a shortage of cci,s. The ww,s work just as good with H-4831 or any other powder for that matter. While back I was shooting some 140 PT,s with 7828 and federal 210,s. The load shot great. I,m no longer fussy about primers as they seem to all to work quite well. I finally scored on 500 cci-200,s the other day. It,s been a year and a half search to find those dudes. I certainly will buy what is available these days. :) :) :) :)

I have used most LR primers without any problems, but for the last number of years I use either match or bench rest exclusively.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":p3j56noc said:
I have used most LR primers without any problems, but for the last number of years I use either match or bench rest exclusively.

Blessings,
Dan
What do you see as an advantage in using match or bench rest primers. I have never used them. Perhaps I should try some out. I have to admit I know nothing about them. I have seen shot to shot velocity differences with standard primers that can vary from lot to lot. Sometimes ww primers are more consistant and sometimes cci primers do better. If match primers are consistently better from shot to shot and from lot to lot I may be consider changing my ways a little.

hubcap,

I'll preface what I'm about to say with the acknowledgment that I'm a hunter and not a shooter. I enjoy accurate loads, but I make no claim of being a benchrest shooter. Consequently, I don't know that I see an advantage to using match primers. They are available on my loading shelf, and I use them. I honesty cannot measure a difference in accuracy when I choose them over other primers. When they are available, I get them and I use them. Were I engaged in match shooting, I likely could make an argument for using them.

I use H4831sc, and WLR primers in my 270 with 140 grn AccuBond.

I know match primers are going to be more consistent, but I get a standard deviation of 6 fps in my load. I'm also a hunter and not a BR shooter, so a 0.2% shot to shot velocity spread is OK with me. :mrgreen:

joelkdouglas":1ec5ls33 said:
Dr. Mike, do you ever use magnum primers with standard powders (i.e. H4831) for cold weather loads?

Simple answer, "Yes." If I know I will be hunting in weather colder than -15 C (5 F), I will work up a load using a magnum primer. The greater brisance ensures complete ignition along the powder column. The old rule of thumb still holds in my estimate, that magnum primers are preferable in colder weather. As an aside, because of the shorter powder column, I do not find that magnum primers are required for complete ignition in the short magnums, despite larger charger weights. I still use magnum primers for ball powders, again to ensure complete ignition.

I agree with the other fellows as hunter I really do not see any difference using the bench rest or match primers. I have been advised that these primers are made to a closer spec so I take the experts word and use them. The cost difference is not a heck of a lot so I also try to use best if it is available. I believe that through picking them up here and there I have amassed enough primers that I will likely never use them all :mrgreen:
As far as the cost of my components it is likely the cheapest thing on the hunt :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2b8uzm6q said:
As far as the cost of my components it is likely the cheapest thing on the hunt :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

True dat. Shame we don't learn this much sooner in life.

Thanks everybody...what a wealth of knowledge. I was wondering if the bench rest primers were worth it but it doesn't sound like they are. I just picked up a tang safety M77 in 7x57 can't wait to pick I up and start a load for it. It's not a Model 70 but it'll do!

Back