264 Win Mag loads

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I have been doing a bit of work lately with some 156 gr Norma Oryx in my 264 WM and Retumbo. Haven't chronographed it yet but 64 gr of Retumbo in W-W cases and CCI 250 primers grouped pretty good out to 300 yards. It's holding around MOA from field positions like shooting from a stump. I'm kind of surprised it is doing as well since I have some throat erosion but I can seat those long 156 gr bullets way out there.

Since it looks like the barrel still has some life in it I need a few ideas. The box of 156 gr Oryx bullet won't last forever and are tough to get in these parts so I am thinking of trying the 155 gr Mega combined with the 160 gr Matrix. Not sure how well the 160 gr Matrix will do from a 1 in 8 twist but maybe someone here has tried them.

Option #2 is try the 140 gr Partition again, with Retumbo or Magnum I could never get consistent results so maybe something like IMR 7977 or IMR 7828 ssc would work.

Option #3 is something like the 127 gr LRX or 120 gr E Tip since they can be loaded out closer to the lands.

I'm kind of leaning towards option #1 and the heavyweights since the Norma Oryx is doing pretty good.

And thanks again to Jamilla for the kind gift of those Oryx bullets and to Scotty and DrMike for getting them across the border. Within the next month the freezer will be full again of some nice bear meat :)

Those heavy bullets should do the trick on about anything you will encounter, Gerry.

No doubt the bear will be quite acceptable. They are out and wandering around here. I must shut down some of my work and get out to tag an early spring bear. The reports I have received from friends are of very fat bears with extremely shiny coats. The coats will be rubbed before long!

I'm sure those Oryx bullets will do the job. Looking forward to wringing out a few new loads when they are gone.

We are having one of the earliest springs here I can remember, everything is green early. Probably will end up hunting higher in elevation than normal. Getting out and chasing bears is a great idea, work can wait but the bears won't. Hope you and Noah can swing it and both of you can tag out........

I believe we'll try to get out this coming weekend. I can't believe how mild this winter was and how fast the green is showing.

Bob,

This area has a plethora of bears (both black bears and grizzlies). There is something about hunting bears, and stalking one to tag it from close up is still a thrill after many years for this old codger.

Gerry, I'd think those Oryx's would be really good. I had very decent accuracy with the couple 156 Oryx's I stole from your box before I sent them. :lol:

The Mega's shot pretty well from my 6.5 Swede, but I haven't done anything with them in my 264.

What about something like the 140 AB? Longer sorta bullet and it is very accurate in my 264.

Either way, if you are getting good accuracy from the Oryx's, I'd be tempted to run with what you have and kill a bear with them. I tried to catch one in the jugs but it squirted out of jug number 5. While not completely successful, it did tell me it'll penetrate and stick together.

I will definitely be using the Oryx this year :) Just trying to decide what to use in the future when they are gone. A friend who just got his hunter training is also a lefty is going to hunt for the first time this year for bears and I will give him the choice between the Whelen and the 264. I'll try to steer him towards the Whelen and the 200 gr TTSX, need to finally use that bullet on game.

The 140 gr AccuBond might work well, I had good accuracy with them in the past and I was wanting to try them in my wife's 6.5x55 anyway.

Best of luck on the bear hunt!!!

I'm looking forward to a bear hunt this September, with friends & family here in Washington. Should be a hoot. Think I'm going to sneak up and shoot him in the ear with a .22 rimfire.... :) Okay, maybe not!

Guy

I would give the mono's a try. They like a jump but are long enough to seat closer if needed. I also find them to be very accurate in a pair if 264s.

gerry":23fhfn44 said:
I will definitely be using the Oryx this year :) Just trying to decide what to use in the future when they are gone. A friend who just got his hunter training is also a lefty is going to hunt for the first time this year for bears and I will give him the choice between the Whelen and the 264. I'll try to steer him towards the Whelen and the 200 gr TTSX, need to finally use that bullet on game.

The 140 gr AccuBond might work well, I had good accuracy with them in the past and I was wanting to try them in my wife's 6.5x55 anyway.

Gerry, we could probably put some 156 Oryx's near the border for Mike to grab if/when he makes another trip to the states?

I do like the Oryx. They have been very easily accurate bullets in a few rifles so far.

I can tell you that the Accubonds will break bone and penetrate. The only AccuBond that I have ever recovered out of around 25 or so deer shot with my 264 Win mag was from a buck shot at 111 yards that was almost facing me with a left shoulder angle toward me. I sent the 130 gr AB on it's way at 3350 fps. The bullet struck the front edge of the left scapula smashing it and traveled lengthwise of the deer and was found against the smashed ball joint in the right ham. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. If you can get the 140 AB to shoot good in your rifle it would be just that much better. After all it is where you shoot them and not so much what you shoot them with that matters.

Thanks Scotty but I will try to special order them here. It might take a while but they should come in.

Think I'm going to try the 155 gr Mega bullet and 160 gr Matrix, been wanting to try both of them for a while anyway. Also going to try the 140 gr AccuBond in my wife's 6.5x55 so it is a natural to try them again in the 264.

I am not sure if I have any Megas left, but I may try to grab a box of them. They seemed to shoot pretty decent from the little Swede. I'd like to jug test a couple of them.

Planning to try the 160 gr Woodleigh as well, but it will be a while don't want to overspend too much on bullets right now. Too many things on the go right now :)

If you can find it, you might try some RL33 and those 140 grain bullets. I'm having good luck with it and the 142 LRAB's. I don't know how it would do with the heavier stuff though.

Did a bit more shooting today and was able to chronograph some loads.

64 gr Retumbo - W-W brass - CCI 250 -156 gr Norma Oryx - 2867 fps
64 gr Retumbo - R-P brass - Fed 215 - 155 gr Lapua Mega - 2885 fps

That speed matches up nicely with Hodgdon's data for Retumbo and the 160 gr Hornady (2846 fps from a 26" barrel) even though my gun has a 24" barrel. I did go to 65 gr just to see but it really didn't gain anything over 64 gr. I think I'll let my friend shoot this gun for black bears in the next couple of weeks since my 270 Win arrived and is doing very well but that is for another thread...........

Bbear, have you been able to clock your RL 33 load? I agree it would be a good one to try along with RL 26 and IMR 7977. I have nothing else to burn Retumbo in right now but when it is gone I'm open to trying something new.

Back