.243 Improved?

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
I've got one for thought. My buddy brought me over a 100 quart bucket loaded with brass that he had purchased for $30.00. All the brass was picked up over a period of time from a local range. The brass was mixed with different calibers, a lot being .243. This was his reason for purchase as his daughter shoots a .243 and he wanted me to assist in working up a good load plus seeing what other goodies were in the bucket. While sorting out the .243's I came across a dozen cases that had a different neck and shoulder. The shoulder was very sharp and the distance from the shoulder to the base of the neck was half the distance that it is in a normal .243. It looked almost like some sort of improved version. I wish I could post a picture on the case and I am working on that computer skill as we speak. Just need some thoughts from everyone.

No, OAL is the same, width of the case is the same. The only difference is the shoulder has been moved up so it is 50 percent closer to the base of the neck than the original .243 shoulder and it is sharper.

243 Ackley Improved and standard 243.
Look like that??
243_with_243_Ackley.jpg

Back