.223 Remington with 69 gr bullets

Naiche

Beginner
Dec 11, 2015
Setting up my first reloading experience. I have been shooting Nosler 69 gr. HPBT factory rounds from my .223 Remington 700P with a 26" heavy barrel and a 1:9 twist. I have new Nosler brass, Nosler bullets, and CCI BR-4 primers. I have been shooting 1" minus groups at 100 yrds. and think I can make that tighter if I reload. Which powder would be the best given those criteria?

Varget does well with the heavier .224 caliber's. Lots to choose from though.

Wow, you are doing well. The powders mentioned are good ideas, you may run out of money or time before you can check out all the good .224 caliber powders. One of my favorites is LT-32 as it drives a 55gr Sierra to sub MOA in a (mostly) stock SR-556. Not sure how it would do for the heavy .224s.

Thank you all, was able to find some Varget and IMR 4895 so now I have some work to do. Advice much appreciated.

Naiche":1v1b9wyh said:
Thank you all, was able to find some Varget and IMR 4895 so now I have some work to do. Advice much appreciated.

Varget is my favorite. Here are my last two workups with Sierra 69g Sierra's and Varget in new Win brass. Barrel is a Rainier Arms Ultramatch.

hEBp2nu.jpg

Thanks for your comment. I have about come to the same conclusion with my testing. Happy shooting to you

Out of my AR 9" twist 25.3 grs Varget with the Sierra 69 is the ticket. That just happens to also be the suggested accuracy load from the Sierra manual for the AR. By the way I have shot a few ground hogs with this combo and it is nasty. BIG EXITS.

Back