2015 hog hunt

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
Been a couple weeks ago, but just now getting time to post these up...

Two close friends and I headed once more to Oklahoma, second year we've done this. Different place, though; this time south and east of Oklahoma city, straight north of Dallas. Spotting and stalking through the timber. Not unlike slug hunting deer at home. They had about 4" of snow the first day, which the locals said was unusual but made for terrific hunting. Nice and fluffy and quiet, easy to sneak, and easy to spot pigs when they were up moving around. When they were bedded down, though, the snow piled up on top of them and we about stepped on a couple. In any event, fun! Sleet and rain the rest of the time. Over the course of two full days, we ended up with two pigs apiece. Here are mine. The first one was a sow, at 50 yards, somewhat ambushed at a watering hole. The second brown one, a boar, was measured at 114 yards.
IMAG0587.jpg

IMAG0601.jpg

Rifle this year was a Kimber 84L Select chambered in my favorite, the .30-06, set up with a 2.5-8 VX3. I acquired this rifle last summer and at 7 lbs scoped, loaded and slung, it is a little snappy off the bench but a dream to carry. The pre-'64 Featherweight made the trip but stayed warm and dry in the cabin. Load was the 165 AB over 58 grains H4350, right at about 2800 fps. Lapua brass. Both were high lung shots, and both went straight down.

They are at the locker now for a combination of straight ground, ring balogna and brats.

Great pictures. That looks as if it was a ton of fun. I do like the looks of that Kimber.

Very beautiful set-up and I would say just perfect from rifle, chambering, bullet, and scope. Excellent taste! Should be some excellent eating!

David

Very nice, congratulations. Those hogs will be great on the grill.

JD338

Justin, nice Kimber, really nice stock and easy to carry. What is not to like about that .30-06?
Charlie

Thank you all, it is a great rifle. With you guys raving about those Leica ERs, I'm sorely tempted to grab one while they're still available and upgrade this thing. But the Leupold did just fine, and I really like the handling and looks as-is. Just something about that gold ring...

Much as I enjoy European glass, there is nothing wrong with Leupold.

Hegland,

That is a sharp looking rifle.

What length barrel do you have on that sucker? Congratulations on a great hunt and a filed freezer. I'm going to have to get back to Texas to go after some hogs.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That is a great looking rifle and I have wild boar bratwurst sausage it is best sausage that I have ever tasted.
We may try for wild boar this coming fall while Whitetail hunting as the COs are telling everyone that the pigs are starting to take over in the south east portion of Saskatchewan.

Blessings,
Dan

Vince":2ubc0ayp said:
What length barrel do you have on that sucker?

Vince -

From the front of the receiver to the end of the barrel measures right at 21", pretty typical for a 22" barrel. And it clocks nearly identically to my M70 Featherweight. However, Kimber advertizes a 24" barrel, so this one has evidently been cut and crowned. I don't think you'll have any problem getting well into the 2,900s with your 26" (if I remember right?), but if it comes up short of 3,000 I also wouldn't consider it much of a handicap. :) That 165 AccuBond is a sleek bullet, flies well and performs beautifully.

Dan, best of luck with both whitetails and hopefully hogs this fall.

Back