2013 Ford Fusion

Hegland

Handloader
Jun 1, 2006
I've had this for about six months now, after trading in my Mercury Milan (same chassis as the Fusion). I took advantage of an employee pricing agreement my company has with Ford, a healthy factory rebate, a generous trade for my car, and ridiculously low interest rates. Here are my impressions:

The 1.6L EcoBoost is everything the old 2.3 naturally-aspirated engine was, and then some. Plenty of mustard to pass slower traffic, and the last several tanks have been 33-34 MPG running a 10% ethanol blend. After diligently calculating mileage manually over time, the dash calculator appears to be pretty close as well. The old one, as well as my pickup, consistently ran 1-1.5 MPG above actual.

Fit and finish is great. Hard to believe how much quieter this one is than the old one. Materials and touch interfaces are wonderful. I got the middle trim with leather seats. The LCD screens, both in the center stack as well as the two smaller ones in the gauge cluster, are bright and sharp.

The wheel base is 2-3" longer than the old one, and I still get caught on that pulling into parking spots. Handling, though, is terrific.

There are a couple software bugs. With a USB stick plugged in, the Microsoft Sync program will randomly restart at the beginning. The phone pairing part of it runs like a top. The turn signal, instead of an actual relay, is just an encoder-type switch and sometimes shuts off while I'm sitting still at a corner.

The other complaint I have is that the fuel neck is too flat for its own good, and the result is that it's almost impossible to get the tank completely full. We're only talking a gallon at most, but at 30+ miles a gallon...

Overall though, these things are pretty trivial, and so far so good. There was an engine recall shortly after I got it for overheating, but I can say I consciously watched the gauge and never had a hint of high water temperature.

If anybody's looking at one, I'll recommend it.

Sounds pretty good. I know getting everything you can out of a gallon of fuel these days saves money for important stuff like tags and rifles!

SJB358":28bwtz34 said:
Sounds pretty good. I know getting everything you can out of a gallon of fuel these days saves money for important stuff like tags and rifles!

Isn't that the truth!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
Run a check by adding your cars info and recalls are one thing and TSB's are things the manufacturer will fix but they will not tell you about them unless you complain about them and most are set to run out with warranty if you have not addressed them prior to warranty expiration! They are normal fixed free if ya get them fixed prior to warranty running out but they are not required to tell you about them! Only recalls are required to be made aware of to the owners! So I would run this vehicle as I did and you might save some cash down the road by looking at the TSB's it has listed!! Any questions let me know! :mrgreen:

Mom had trouble with the fuel filler in the new Lincoln too. Took it back to the dealer and they got it fixed eventually. The Eco-boost in the Lincoln is impressive. CL

Dealers are not required to tell you about a TSB unless they wanta get paid from the manufacturer that ultimately will pay the dealership for the jobs! Lotta dealerships are LAZY and will never tell you about them and the link will not give you all the scoop but it does help for sure! Friend had to pay for a expired TSB that turned on his check engine light like 6 months after his warranty ran out and it cost him parts and labor for fuel filler kneck on a 03 Tundra and Toyota parts are very very expensive! If he would have known about it he could have went in and said his light come on and that he thought it was because of the TSB on the Fuel filler neck and he would have not paid a penny but he got took since it was not a recall as they are required to notify on those but TSB's will save ya some coins if ya know about them !! You are welcome Hegland :mrgreen:

Back