1st shots with a .30-06

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Worked with a gal I know, and her boyfriend, out at the 200 yard rifle range today. She'd only shot a .22, a .223 and a .30-30 at 25 - 50 yards before as far as I know.

Got her all set up behind my 25-06 700 CDL, crosshairs on the steel silhouette 200 yards away. Shooting off the bench, with a short bipod. First shot high, but no problem dealing with the rifle. Startled her a little, but she acknowledge no pain whatsoever. Second shot smacked that steel gong loud and clear! (y) Fired a few more.

She graduated to the .30-06, 700 CDL. Identical trigger pull, virtually identical rifle. But 165's instead of 115's.

Boom. Clang. (y) Boom. Clang. Boom. Clang. "I thought you said this one would kick a little?"

Me to her boyfriend... "Buy the gal a .30-06 and be prepared to haul venison & bear back to your truck."

Sheesh... She loves the thump of the .30-06 rifle. We were shooting my handloads, 165 gr Nosler B-Tips over a max charge of H4350.

She wants to go bear hunting this summer, and mule deer in the fall. Okay then.

Guy

Good show Guy! Sounds like she is ready.

JD338

Yep she should buy herself a CDL 30-06....... or maybe a 270 Win ;)

gerry":qboon2wl said:
Yep she should buy herself a CDL 30-06....... or maybe a 270 Win ;)

That's what I was thinking!

Way to go, sounds like she is a good student!

Was that your '06 CDL Guy? I thought you only had the old war horse, the 1917? I had a 700 CDL '06 ( I actually bought it in 2006 to celebrate its birthday!) it was a shooter, but I sold it for hunt money. This Sako I now have is actually a tad lighter than it was, surprising. I'd rather teach ladies than guys any day! They actually listen to you and give you honest feedback, don't they? :)

Yup, my 700 CDL.

I've got a nice pair of them, a .25-06 and a .30-06, pretty similar. Trigger weight set the same. Both are pillar and glass bedded and free floated. The .30-06 has a little nice looking stock, and hasn't been hunted nearly as hard.

Actually, those two rifles would do all the hunting I ever do... No problem. Except varmints. I like to keep a dedicated varmint rifle on hand too.

Was really impressed with how well she handled the .30-06, those were not creampuff loads.

Guy

Nice post Guy and great that you are willing to take the time to start a person in the right way..

How long do you think it will be before the boyfriend takes up reloading to keep her in ammo?.. or does he already reload?

Guy Miner":2ldb4yf4 said:
Yup, my 700 CDL.

I've got a nice pair of them, a .25-06 and a .30-06, pretty similar. Trigger weight set the same. Both are pillar and glass bedded and free floated. The .30-06 has a little nice looking stock, and hasn't been hunted nearly as hard.

Actually, those two rifles would do all the hunting I ever do... No problem. Except varmints. I like to keep a dedicated varmint rifle on hand too.

Was really impressed with how well she handled the .30-06, those were not creampuff loads.

Guy

Get a .22-250 or .223 in a CDL and have the bases covered Guy!

What's your trigger pull weight on your CDLs?

And I am sure I have asked but whats your recipe for your 165 grain loads?

I've got all three of my Rem 700's (including the ex SWAT rifle) set at 3 pounds. Could go lower, but don't want to. Three pounds, crisp, is low enough for a hunting or duty rifle.

165 Nosler over 58 grains of H4350

I'm only getting 2850 fps from the 24" Remington, and 2750 fps from the 21" Model of 1917.

It's 1/2 grain over Nosler's max, but I was loading it long ago, before I read the Nosler manual, and got it from other sources. Has always treated me well with a couple of different rifles.

My son uses that load on bears and bucks. It seems to work just fine. :mrgreen:

Guy

Oh, and I've got a .204 Ruger, but it's a CZ rifle. Kind of hate to replace it with a Remington, or anything else, since it shoots so well...

But ya never know.

Guy

Nice job Guy. You know a couple years ago they made the CDL in 6mm Remington. I think it was 2011 or 2012. Maybe you could find one of those and bring it home to live for a while!

There sure are no flies on the 204 CZ 527. My favorite combo for coyotes loaded with 35 Bergers. 32 v-max is spectacular for anything smaller when making them into smaller pieces lol.

My ex-wife shot a Remington 725 for deer hunting which was chambered in .30-06, using 165 Partitions. I started her out with a 6mm Rem Ruger which I owned. She asked me what I used and I said, "usually a .30-06". She manned up and started shooting that .30-06 with no effects and great accuracy. She also shot my .41 mag Blackhawk also.

Scotty I saw you make a post here. I just hope you notice how well that 30-06 treats people. Once they shoot it they fall head over heals for that round! :grin:

6mm Remington":3qh6t69u said:
Scotty I saw you make a post here. I just hope you notice how well that 30-06 treats people. Once they shoot it they fall head over heals for that round! :grin:

Atta boy, David. Looking out for our boy Scotty. :mrgreen:

Back