1950's Marlin 30 30

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
As I get a bit older I find myself thinking about the "old days" a bit more. I find that I take more joy in the hunt and watching family take deer and no longer feel like I need to put the meat in the freeaer. I have my dad's 1950's Marlin lever 30-30 and was thinking of all the deer I took with that rifle from age 14-27. My grandpa had a 4x Redfield put on it and it worked fine with Rem 170's. That rifle must have had about an 8 pound trigger.

Now after quite a few years of shooting larger calibers in "better rifles" with better scopes and lots of hours at the reloading bench I have an itch to carry that old rifle. Last year I had a Wild West trigger put in it and mounted a Weaver 4x with Weaver mounts.

I can reload for it, but bought a couple boxes of Hornady LeverEvolution 160 gn just to see what the accuracy was. This rifle hasn't been shot for 31 years. I went to my favorite range...it was raining, and so I had it all to myself. Set the target up at 100yds. Settled in and took the 1st shot. 6 o'clock bottom of the bull. Hmmmm......Took the 2nd shot, looked through the spotting scope and there it was, touching the 1st bullet hole. Wow! Thought it must be a fluke, no way shot three would be there....3rd shot.....perfect cloverleaf touching the other bullet holes.

Gotta say I'm amazed. I hunt fields and figure the range for this rifle/cartridge to be 150 yds or so. So if something coves by further out....free pass. It'll be a real pleasure to carry this rifle this year.

Long

Sounds like it likes those.
Something to be said about sentimental favorites and taking them out where they belong again. Good for you. Bet you'll enjoy the hunt.

There is nothing like the familiarity of an "old" rifle. Just like an old friend.

I have actually not talked to anyone who has not been able to get those Hornady's to shoot out of a .30-30 be it lever or bolt action.

Hopefully this means the old workhorse will get to go hunting again after all these years.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Dale

The lever guns have been real sleepers in the accuracy department. Shot within the effective range of the cartridge, they can account for a lot of game. Some of the new bullets are proving to be game changers. That is a great report of the performance of a fine family heirloom.

Back