180 Berger VLD, IMR 7828, and 7 STW, OH MY!

I am pretty excited. But now I feel like locking the rifle up in the safe so I don't shoot the barrel out...

Maybe I will finish up the 160g AccuBond load and call it good.

Time to buy a new rifle to work up.

That rifle is a shooter. Looks like 1/2 moa out to 400 yards, very nice.

On Saturday, I fouled the barrel and played with 160 Accubonds and 180 VLD-H to decide which was going to be my hunting load.

100 yard zeros are the same for either round. Moved out to 200 to check drops and to decide which load to go with.

Here is the 200 yard 180VLD-H load. A little luck and wow. Will never shoot one like this again.

20151031_164300.jpg

Fwiw...we're up at 74.5 I 7828 in my buddies 26" stw and doing 3020 fps w/no pressure signs. But his set up lets us hang the bullet out pretty far. I've seen reports of people pushing the 28 nosler (pretty much the same capacity) further than this considerably. Although the 180 Berger is long I think its pretty slippery going down the barrel not having a ton of bearing area.

Excellent cartridge that you are using to full advantage. Great riflery and an excellent load.

It was at 2988 in 70 degree weather, last chrono was 2940 in 30 degree weather

Nice shooting!

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

I know that my STW shoots better than I can most days...but it sure is nice when all things come together and we can actually shoot those groups and validate our shooting skills!!! While I've not printed groups as small as yours, I'm still very happy with 1" groups at 300 yards with factory loads with 160 gr AB's. Not to mention the numerous animals harvested over the years with my rifle that has kept many members of the family fed!

Confidence in our ability with a fine rifle is a beautiful thing!

One of my hunting buddies has a 7mm STW and he is shooting the 180 Berger as well. He is using Retumbo and getting just slightly under 3200fps with 1/2 moa groups. His STW prints the 160 AccuBond and 180 Berger in the exact same location.

OU812":1ufq3pl9 said:
One of my hunting buddies has a 7mm STW and he is shooting the 180 Berger as well. He is using Retumbo and getting just slightly under 3200fps with 1/2 moa groups. His STW prints the 160 AccuBond and 180 Berger in the exact same location.

Man, that would be hard to not love.

Back