168gr BT load test

Big Norm

Beginner
Jul 12, 2013
8uzy4a5a.jpg

Got my hands on a Remington 700 VLS in 308, had a really good range trip. Two shots dead center was to check scope, lower was a fouler after cleaning barrel from sight-in.

Lower group:
3 shots Nosler BT 168gr
43.5 gr varget, .015 jump
Distance: 100yrds
No crono so no velocity
Temp 80°

Cleaned barrel and shout fouler.. (shot between groups)

Upper group:
3 shots Nosler BT 168gr
44gr Varget .015 jump
Distance:100yrds
No velocity
Temp:80°

Both groups were shot from a bipod, no rear bag.. I am hoping to get even better grouping when I re-shoot using front and rear bags
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the forum, Big Norm; good to have you aboard. Those are fine groups, demonstrating some excellent riflery. You, sir, are to be congratulated. Those groups are really in the zone.

I'm jealous.
Of the 80 degree part.....

Nice shooting sir !
There isn't a deer in the world that will walk away from that.

I'm revisiting the 165 NBTs in my 308 VSSF.
Been running them in front of H380 until two weeks ago.
Switched to Varget.

That was at 80° at 8am.. it got hot really quick..

Thanks DrMike. This is a new discipline for me.. (rifle shooting) I shot IDPA competition pistol for 3 yrs so shooting is in my blood.

Im shooting this rifle as is..bone stock, almost scared to try and fine tune it. I am contemplating an action tuning, pillar and action bedding, free floting the barrel and a muzzle brake.. (for my 11yr old) I should be able to stretch it out to to about 500+ then.

DrMike":25yo92jg said:
Welcome to the forum, Big Norm; good to have you aboard. Those are fine groups, demonstrating some excellent riflery. You, sir, are to be congratulated. Those groups are really in the zone.

All the more impressive when you realise it is an off-the-shelf rifle. I do know that many being built today are far more accurate than anything that was available just a few years back. There was a time when a factory rifle was thought to be a "tack driver" if it shot MOA. Now, we've come to expect that any out-of-the-box rifle will deliver MOA performance, and imagine that it is junk if it won't. Candidly, almost all my factory rifles will give me 0.5 MOA or better with just a little load work, and many will deliver 0.25 MOA consistently. It still takes a rifleman to wring out the performance expected, and you're delivering.

Back