Two of the Newest

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I spent the day at the range with two of my newest rifles. It was a good day, and it was a bad day. Temperature wise, it was a beautiful day. There were scattered clouds. Temperature when I arrived was 18 C. It climbed slightly throughout the day, reaching a high of 24.1 C by 3:30 in the afternoon. On the other hand, I was doping the wind. The wind was a 180 degree wind, gusting to 15 km/hr and averaging 9.3 km/hr. In short, a typical day on the edge of the prairies.

First off, I had the 9.3X64 Brenneke out for its maiden run.

BrennekeReadyforFirstLoad.jpg

BrennekeRightSide.jpg

It looks pretty awesome just nestled there atop the bags. I shot a few rounds of some factory ammunition I had; it is a 193 grain RWS Uni load. The recoil felt more like a definite push than a kick. However, when I pull the trigger, there is a pronounced push just to remind me that it is somewhat larger than a 257 Bob. First up for loads was a series built around the 250 grain AccuBond. When I pulled the trigger on these, there was a decided kick rather than a push. The rifle is showing promise. Here is a group with 250 grain AB charged with 65.0 grains of RL15.

93X64250AB63RL15.jpg

I could only fire two of the next set as one of the cases was deformed. I had missed it when loading. In any case, I didn't count it when determining velocity and accuracy. I'll likely do this load again, increasing the charge incrementally to find the upper limit.

93X64250AB67RL15.jpg

I also built a series of loads around 286 grain Partitions. These show definite promise. Here is one charged with 64.0 grains of RL15.

93X64286PT64RL15.jpg

This is the group when charged with 66.0 grains of RL15 (V = 2601 +/- 8 fps).

93Brenneke286PT66RL15.jpg

I also had the 338 Federal with me and a number of loads for testing. I had two sets of loads built with 200 grain E-Tips, three built with 200 grain ABs and one built with 215 grain Sierra GKs.

338FederalLoadsReadytoFire.jpg

338FederalontheFiringLine.jpg

This rifle has shot very well with factory loads, and I had no doubt that it would perform well with my hand loads. The very first set was one of the loads built with 200 grain ABs, and the first load set performed beautifully.

338Fed200AB43W748.jpg

However, as charge weight increased, standard deviations also increased and groups opened up. Next up, I tried another set of loads built with 200 grain ABs and charged with A2520. Again, the very first group was very good. Surely there is potential here.

338Fed200AB455A2520.jpg

As charge weights increased, standard deviations decreased and group sizes remained essentially the same. At the top charge, this was what the group looked like.

338Fed200AB475A2520.jpg

I'll likely increase the charge incrementally to move toward a slightly higher velocity whilst watching to see if the group will tighten somewhat.

I shot one of the groups built with 200 grain E-Tips and A2520. The standard deviations indicate that I should have an excellent group. However, I'll need to work with this again, playing with seating depth. At the moment, I'm about 0.100 off the lands. I'll have to test at some other distances. I also shot a series built with the 200 grain AB and A2495 that mirrored the data generated with A2520. Velocities were virtually identical, and the groups were quite similar as well. I did build one other set of loads with 215 grain Sierra Game Kings and IMR8208XBR. This gave me some promising groups that I'll revisit while altering seating depth.

338Fed215SIEIMR8208XBR2.jpg

As a final note, when I stopped by the shop, the smiths showed me a group they generated with one of their custom rifles for which I had done load development last week. It turned in a group of less than 0.74 inches at 710 yards. I recommended that they photograph that one and post it on their web site as advertising. They do build a quality product. I allowed that I would not be ashamed to have that rifle (a 7WSM).

You're doing a great job and your patience at the reloading bench has paid off very well. I'm not going to offer any unneeded advise on what you need to hunt with as your loads are all showing promise, but some show more than others.
Working up loads AND testing them is one of the best things about being a rifleman, in my opinion, as the range work helps me know I can get the shot when it counts.

Mike - re the 9.3 - your 250 @ 2627 fps is very similar to the 260 gr AccuBond at 2620 fps I use from my .375 H&H...

Guy, the Brenneke is nipping at the heels of the 375 H&H. I could have secured a 375 and been perfectly happy. However, I wanted something a little out of the mainstream. This Brenneke is rather a fun rifle to shoot.

The 9.3x64 is definitely a ringer for a 375 H&H but with a better b.c. bullet, you all ready have some good shooting loads will be neat to see what the final loads will do.

Mike,

Nicely done. You have a couple of pretty nice loads for the 9.3X64 Brenneke. You are elk ready with the 250 gr AB or the 286 gr PT.
The 338 Fed is looking pretty good too.

JD338

Very nice Mike. Just a little tweaking pending on the load you want to use of course!

I was not displeased with the first venture. I just picked up a modified case for the 338 Federal yesterday. One of the fellows in the shop made it for me. That will make my work so much easier.

I'm truly enjoying the little 338; it is a pleasant rifle to shoot, and it packs a pretty good punch on game, if the moose on August 15th was any indication.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20211

The recovered bullet does induce me to focus on the 200 grain E-Tip for the rifle. If I get it shooting like I hope, I'll likely buy about ten boxes of E-Tips and load up rounds until the earth looks flat.

Both rifles look as though they are shooting very respectable groups. The 9.3x64 Brenneke is definitely shooting some super groups for a larger caliber rifle. The 286 gr bullets seem to shoot really well in that rifle.

The .338 Federal also likes the 210 Partition pretty well if the 200 E-Tip is fussy. So far the 200 AB seems to be shooting some really nice groups. No flies on that load!

Very Good Mike! Gota love a 9.3x64 too!!
I know RL-15 is also reccommended with a 250 gr. in the 9.3x74R But I got better load density and performance going to a slower powder. Running right at 2600 fps. with H4831 SC in the 74R. I'm not sure how the case capacities between the two compare, but think the 74R is a tad less than the 64.
.338 looks like it was nothing to scoff at either!!!

That 9.3x64 is indeed intriguing. You've also got the 200 gr. AccuBond going in the 338 Fed. That's the load I wanted but the Kimber's magazine is short and I couldn't find a workable length load. It looks like you have developed couple of winners, as to be expected.

DrMike":o272gl4q said:
I was not displeased with the first venture. I just picked up a modified case for the 338 Federal yesterday. One of the fellows in the shop made it for me. That will make my work so much easier.

Modified in what way, DrMike? I am just curious as to what could be done to this case?

Charlie,

The modified case makes measuring OAL easier, using the Stony Point (Hornady) OAL Gauge.

I did finalise the measurements of group sizes. In the Brenneke, the Nosler 250 grain AB with a stiff charge of RL15 gave a velocity of 2693 fps and a group of 0.60 inches. Not bad for a big bore. The Nosler 286 grain load with a stiff charge of RL15 yields a velocity of 2601 fps and a group of 0.82 inches. These are great starting groups for the first rattle out of the box. I'll be working with them further over the course of the coming weeks. Dave, I believe you are correct; I will be using some slower powders in the near future. For the first trip to the range, I opted to use the load suggested in the Nosler Guide.

The 338 Federal has a way to go. Using the Federal 200 grain Trophy Copper yields 2729 fps and a groups of ~0.30 inches. So far, the 200 grain E-Tip is measuring MOA and velocity is a couple of hundred fps slower. It would still work, but it gives me some room to improve. The 200 grain AB is giving me reasonable accuracy with A2520 (0.67 inches), but velocity is 150 fps below the factory ammunition. Again, this is not a deal breaker, but it suggests that I can tweak the load somewhat. I was very pleased with the 215 grain Sierra GK and IMR8208XBR. Accuracy and velocity matched that of the 200 grain AB with A2520. Again, I've only begun to tweak these loads. There's more to come.

DrMike, the 9.3x64 Brenneke , 250 load at <2700 with a .600 groups is impresive for that large caliber. The 286 gr at >2600 fps is a good load for hunting as well and accuracy.

The .338 Federal in handloads has never attained for me the promise of factory loaded velocities either with 210 gr or with 225 gr Nosler Partitons. My 200 Grain Federal factory gets 2700+ fps with apparently normal presures. It must be the factory loaded powder that they use? None of the Hodgdon manual loads listed get anywhere near 2700+ with any powder that they list for the 200 grain. I have loaded both IMR 3031 and 4064 up to 2580 fps for the 210 Partiton and about 2500 for the 225 Partition but that is still about 100 feet slower than comparable factory loads, not that game would particularly notice. More work is needed here and obviously I am still learning with the .338 Federal after only 3 years of fooling around.

I was able to get 2647 fps. with my 338 Fed. with 200 gr. Accubonds using 49 grs of TAC. with no pressure signs in my 22" Kimber and the velocities were 2646-2649-2644 fps. The kimber is short magazined and I couldn't get enough length for any accuracy. I used 200 gr. Speer hot cores and got half in. groups but at 2600 fps. with 46 grs. of TAC. When I tried to increase to 47 and 48 accuracy dropped and I started to encounter pressure signs. I finaly ended up with 185 gr. TSXs at about 2800 fps. with 48 grs of TAC. It gave me 1 hole groups and 3200 FPE. The 338 Fed. has a lot of potential but seems, in my case, to require a lot of trial and error loading to find what will work in an individual rifle. I like TAC and it's potential. I even loaded some 225 gr. Swift A-Frames at 2406 fps with 47 grs. of Hogdon's Lever Evolution powder and got about a 1" group. Good power for dark timber but 2877 FPE.

TAC is on my radar. However, I suspect that some other powders may give as good or better performance. Regardless, I believe your assessment is correct, Greg. The 338 Federal will provide good performance, but it will require a bit of time to find the correct combination. I do have some 185 TSXs, and I will be working up some loads with these lighter bullets. Nevertheless, I like the idea of the 200/210 grain pills for the type of hunting I anticipate around here.

Mike it sure looks like you are starting off well with both of those!

I played with the 200 ET out of my 38 WM for a while. It took a while to get to shoot right, but they do shoot good. They are one tough little bullet as well. Nothing wrong with the 185 TSX either. I took my first bull elk with a 185 XLC out of my 338 WM.

That 9.3 sure does have some impressive numbers behind it. No critter will tell the difference between it and a 375 H&H thats for sure.

A call from a former customer, reminded me of his confidence in the 9.3x64. Loaded with 286 gr PT's @ 2650, is his favarite bear load. He don't feel under-gunned, so he says.

Back