My first full custom is almost done!

buckfever":1osm3z8c said:
Is it a 6.5. SAUM.

YEP!

I'm pretty dang excited. Guy Miners Green Machine was a bit of an inspiration, but at the last minute I changed it up a bit with the color scheme.

I'm not sure what I'm doing for optics yet, but I figure if I get the rifle in hand that will speed up the decision making process.

Jake

Nice project buddy.
Give us the scoop.

JD338

I stopped by the shop today on my way out of town. It is almost done! It is a 26" fluted Benchmark sendero contour. Bedded into a stock built by Darrin Blagg (the gunsmith). It is a very light stock with a nice vertical grip, two swivel studs, and a bit of a raised comb. The metal is all a nice mud brown color, while the stock is a light od green with black and brown wedding. I'm betting that the scoper ready to hunt weight is under 11 pounds.

Should be one fun shooter pushing a 140 something around 3100-3200. The goal is to have a fun yote/deer/speed goat gun that I can play with on the range out to 1400 yards. Mostly, it was built for yotes and the range. I'm really enjoying my time on the range honing (lol who am I kidding, I'm still building a base to hone) my skills.

It should be done by next week. I'll post some picks as soon as I get my hands on it. I tried today, but the paint on the stock was still drying :(

The 6.5 mm SAUM is a sensible round to have, I'm sure you will love it and should come close to getting 264 WM speeds. The sleek 130's like the 130 gr Swift, AccuBond and 129 gr ABLR are every bit as good as the sleek 140's with a bit more speed in the 264 WM I have. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out for you.

Congratulations Jake on your custom :wink: that is a very interesting calibre it should a hoot to shoot & develop.
Looking forward to a range report with photos of course :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

I stopped by the shop on my way home from my Idaho buck hunt. Got to hold it and check it out again. Two pieces left to Cera Koat and it's done! Weighs 9.1 lbs. Not to shabby for a Sendero contoured barrel. I'll get some pics up as soon as it is in my possession.

From the reading I have been doing on line (everything on the internet is true, I read that on the internet) I should be able to push a 130 something into the 3,200-3,300 range pretty easy, and a 140 something in the 3,100-3,200 range. I think that I could push it harder and get more speed, but it will come at the expense of barrel life. Below is a thread from another forum I stumbled across that got me started on this project.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hi ... -saum.html

Back