375 H&H 300gr swift a-frame (updated)

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Gonna test this bullet on the range tomorrow @2560fps, :twisted: ..going for accuracy first, if all goes well, I'll slam one into some jugs as well soon! :)
Lou

The cousin to that particular bullet (300 grain A-Frame in my 9.3X64) gives me sub-MOA accuracy and surprising velocity, Lou. I believe you'll be blown away (so to speak) by what that much mass does packaged as the Swift is.

DrMike":5pu29kbd said:
The cousin to that particular bullet (300 grain A-Frame in my 9.3X64) gives me sub-MOA accuracy and surprising velocity, Lou. I believe you'll be blown away (so to speak) by what that much mass does packaged as the Swift is.
Thanks Mike :) ..I've been itching to try this load by Norma, and if all goes well, I'll be a happy camper for sure! :grin: ..I well post the accuracy report tomorrow from the sako 85 Kodiak my friend :wink:

Lou

SJB358":3os5ef3j said:
Nice. That bullet will move some jugs I bet!

I'll try Scotty :twisted: ..gotta see how they shoot first?..some big beast is awaiting for me :wink:

Lou

Lou,

That is one great bullet and good for almost anything on the planet.

JD338

JD338":tarqiyik said:
Lou,

That is one great bullet and good for almost anything on the planet.

JD338
Thanks Jim :) ..I have some near future plans pal, I'll see how they shoot tomorrow?..Long story made short, 1st shot well be swift a-frame, any follow up shots well be with 300gr solids :twisted: ..If things go as I plan, the solids won't be needed pal :wink:

Lou

This test was done from 10yds shooting into 1gallon water jugs
Muzzle velocity, 2560 fps
Penetration, 8 jugs, almost 9 (punched the 9th, but stayed in the 8th)
Retained weight, 296grs 98.7%
Expansion, .680 for 1.8X bullet diameter

Very Impressive bullet :)

Lou

Beautifull ! What a Perfect bullet ! :grin: That will get the job done ! :shock:

Cheers :) RJ

the beer barrel profile of rear core when it drives forward into Partition makes the bullet look "weak" but it actually by accident I suspect, has a purpose. It helps support the expanded mushroom much like a thick jacket does.

I have shot quite a few 458 caliber Swifts, 400, 450 and 500 grain at 460 GA and 450 Dakota velocities. The 400 does not survive, blows off front bonded core. 450 grain does well up to about 2400 fps when it is at risk. 500 grain which has such a high SD and low velocity is dandy.

Not really a premium bullet in my book since it still requires high SD and modest velocity to remain intact. North Fork much superior but the 500 grain 458 is a great bullet.

The 250 grain 375 survives at up to 2950 fps in my tests. A nice little bullet for North AMerica or Plains Game.

SJB358":2eywmtz2 said:
That's a great bullet Lou. Looks very deadly.

Scotty, I did the test in Quebec right after the wildboar hunt, yeh I brought the jugs with me pal :shock:

The French men where kinda surprised, as they've never seen this before, heck you got me hooked on this jug thing! :grin:
I have a bunch of 300gr Partitions, I plan on running 1 into some jugs in the next few weeks or so 8) ..I'm guessing 8 jugs for sure, but betting on 9 :wink:

Lou

Yeah, I'd bet the PT does everything the Swift does too, but really, either one is just awesome when your talking thumper sized animals..

Sako 85":3rmbcshz said:
SJB358":3rmbcshz said:

Scotty, I did the test in Quebec right after the wildboar hunt, yeh I brought the jugs with me pal :shock:

The French men where kinda surprised, as they've never seen this before, heck you got me hooked on this jug thing! :grin:
I have a bunch of 300gr Partitions, I plan on running 1 into some jugs in the next few weeks or so 8) ..I'm guessing 8 jugs for sure, but betting on 9 :wink:

Lou

Hey LOU did you ever jug test the parts ? :?: or i did i just miss reading the results ? :?: Thks :) RJ

I haven't got anymore 300gr Partitions left Jim, I hope to get more soon though, I would bet they would do just as well as the swift A-frames for penetration. I like both bullets, but my rifle favours the Swift over the Partition, hey, they're both great bullets :)

Hopefully someone else can run a 300gr Partition into some jugs for us?

Lou :)

I've got 150 of them. Enough to thin out a buffalo herd or two I'd guess.

None are yet loaded into cases. If I remember, I'll load up a few to middlin' velocity and test them.

Need to do something with the .375's anyway. They're feeling neglected I fear.

Guy Miner":2mp88406 said:

None are yet loaded into cases. If I remember, I'll load up a few to middlin' velocity and test them.

What are you waiting on? Your retired again! Ha!

Guy Miner":jqk54ilm said:

Sounds good to me Guy 8) ..Looking forward to your test results,

Lou

Rem Jim":vzq9x3a8 said:
Sako 85":vzq9x3a8 said:
SJB358":vzq9x3a8 said:

Lou

Hey LOU did you ever jug test the parts ? :?: or i did i just miss reading the results ? :?: Thks :) RJ

Hi Jim, the jugs are ready for Friday afternoon :) ..I should have enough jugs to run the 300gr PT and the 260gr AccuBond..I well post the results early Friday evening.
Lou

Back