375 Ruger 300 gr Accubond

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Was able to do a bullet test on the 300 gr AccuBond from my 375 Ruger, speed should be around 2550 fps, when my chrony is fixed I will update this post.

300 gr Nosler AccuBond 2550 +/- fps, 7 water jugs, 218 gr (72.6%) .741"

Test was done at 10 yards, this bullet came close to making into jug #8.

014-1.jpg

015.jpg

I have never owned or even fired one, but I liked the idea of the .375 Ruger from the beginning.
That is fantastic performance. I foresee dead things. :mrgreen:

Nice!
That should cover anything you would hunt with a 375 expanding bullet.

JD338

I do like the expansion and conservation of mass on that bullet, Gerry.

JD338":2ggo99cu said:
Nice!
That should cover anything you would hunt with a 375 expanding bullet.

JD338

That's for sure, this will be my grizzly load and the one I use in heavy bush for moose. They should penetrate deep with a good wound channel and hopefully not damage too much meat on the moose.

I think there's a grizzly out there somewhere in deep trouble... :grin:

Dang, look at how thick that base is... Wow!

They are monsters!~

Remember the 260 AB has taken cape buff with a 375 HH!

I have to try it from my 378 though it hates 260's.

FOTIS":s9a16wex said:
I have to try it from my 378 though it hates 260's.

I would really like to see that Fotis. I love seeing what the big cartridges do to these bullets.

Cool to see some of these older tests come up again, threads never really die they just lay dormant for a while. Those 300's are excellent bullets for sure.

On a side note, Widgeon who posted on this thread just disappeared a couple of years ago. Seemed like a great guy, hope he comes back soon........

I just picked up 2 boxes of 300gr. Accubonds and going to load them in my 375 Ruger Guide Gun. Going to try RL17 powder. Also have a box of Woodleigh 350gr. PP. Gerry what powder and OAL did you use? 20" or 24" barrel length and what group did you get?

I had a 20" barreled gun and seated the bullets so they would just fit in the magazine with a tiny bit to spare which was 3.395" in my gun. I never actually ran them over a chronograph before trading off the gun but it should have been around 2550 fps or a bit more. I used the 260 gr AccuBond with 80 gr Big Game at the same length and they grouped just as well. Those I ran over the Chrony at 2750 fps.

Thanks Gerry. I have a Hornady modified case and their OAL gauge that I use to determine what OAL to seat the bullet. I have a Lee factory crimp die that I will use after I set my OAL. Big Game powder is hard to find. I am stocked up with RE17. Going to give it a try.

You're welcome. Big Game is almost impossible to get right now, RL 17 should work quite well in the 375 Ruger. Good luck.

gerry":3cbry8ab said:
You're welcome. Big Game is almost impossible to get right now, RL 17 should work quite well in the 375 Ruger. Good luck.
gerry, RL 17 worked good. 78.5grs. produced 1/2" group at 100yds. with the 300gr. AccuBond. Also tested the Woodleigh 350gr. PP and 73.0grs. of RL 17 produced 1" group at 100yds. Would post pictures of targets from phone but have technical difficulties with Photo Bucket. Is there another way to post pictures?

300 H&H":3ma5xcv8 said:
gerry":3ma5xcv8 said:
gerry, RL 17 worked good. 78.5grs. produced 1/2" group at 100yds. with the 300gr. AccuBond. Also tested the Woodleigh 350gr. PP and 73.0grs. of RL 17 produced 1" group at 100yds. Would post pictures of targets from phone but have technical difficulties with Photo Bucket. Is there another way to post pictures?

The 375 Ruger is capable of fantastic accuracy and it sounds like you have some great loads. I use Photobucket so can't help you too much, I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly. I think there is a way to post images when you go to advanced mode on this forum by clicking on the IMG button. We would all love to see the photos when you get them sorted out.

gerry":181wdieo said:
300 H&H":181wdieo said:
gerry":181wdieo said:

The 375 Ruger is capable of fantastic accuracy and it sounds like you have some great loads. I use Photobucket so can't help you too much, I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly. I think there is a way to post images when you go to advanced mode on this forum by clicking on the IMG button. We would all love to see the photos when you get them sorted out.

You could email them to me, and I would be more than happy to post them for you :)

Lou

Back