338 Edge 300 gr Accubond and black bear test

Swamplord

Beginner
Oct 20, 2012
I finally had a chance to test the 300 gr AccuBond in my 338 Edge on a black bear on Memorial Day, bear was taken at 440 yards

I beached the canoe and ranged the bear at 800 yards with my Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder but had no shot due to alder patches between me and the critter, I had to stalk in to 500 + -yards to get a clear shot, on my belly off a bipod... as I set up for the shot and waited for a clear broadside shot the bear had closed the distance to 440 yards

the impact of the bullet knocked the bear down , it spun around and ran 20 yards adrenalized but dead on it's feet as it's heart and lungs had turned into a frothy mush....
bullet entered just off the shoulder and for a "soft" hit it did incredible internal damage to the vitals without extensive meat damage, destroying a bunch of ribs on the way out, it was a complete pass through... funny thing though, the exit hole was only slightly larger through the hide when compared to the entrance hole but did some awesome killing, without the bullet I can only guess that the bullet expanded doing internal devastation then folded along the shank and passed though, had similar results with a 200 gr 30 cal AccuBond on moose a few years ago at 300 yards with a 7.82 Warbird.

Rifle
Rem M700 with Jewell Trigger and Seekins Detach mag assembly/5 rnd mag
30" 9.5 twist Obermeyer bbl in Rem Varmint contour, muzzle brake machined into the extra inch of bbl, H-263 Foliage Green Cerakote
McMillan HTG stock in McMillan Olive w/black speckles
Bushnell 30mm Elite 6500 2.5-16X 50mm scope
Nightforce 20 moa base and Nightforce 30mm Ultra Lite rings

Ammo
Nosler AccuBond 338 Cal. 300 gr bullet (coated with WS2 tungsten disulfide)
Rem 300 Rum brass fireformed and neck sized (once fired)
Fed GM215M primers
H1000 powder (load was developed with WS2 coated bullets, powder charge won't be listed)
2900 fps velocity (20 rnd ave., load development was at 100 yards, very warm load but safe with coated bullets)
1/2" groups at 100 yards (did not test at longer range due to limited time)
COAL 3.808"
Ogive OAL 3.082" ( .024" bullet jump to lands gave best accuracy/velocity combo)

impact velocity at 440 yards 2299 fps and 3522 ft lbs energy (according to iSnipe iPhone app)

I also dumped a mature 53" raghorn bull moose in Sept with the same rifle and bullet except powder was RL 25 with similar velocity.
called the bull in to 30 yards and shot was just behind shoulder with a very impressive DRT scene

I seriously wanted to test this bullet at longer range but neither my job, moose nor bear would cooperate, all in all the results were identical from 30 yards to 440 yards for "soft" no shoulder bone impacts, with complete pass throughs in both situations, Have yet to witness a full on shoulder bone hit with the 338 cal 300 gr bullet but have personally shot a bull moose in the shoulder with a 180 gr 30 cal AccuBond leaving the muzzle at 3500 fps, it was a phenomenal one shot kill at 200 yards. I called in a 61" bull moose for my brother last Sept and he used a 30-378 WBY with a 180 gr AccuBond Wby factory load to dump the moose in it's tracks at 120 yards and I believe the 338 bullet will be even better suited for a "hard" shoulder shot.

Really would like to see a 338 AccuBond Long Range bullet, REALLY SOON I HOPE !!!View attachment photo 1 (3).JPG

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 3,709
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    76 KB · Views: 3,687
some gratuitious AccuBond testing/hunting pics.......photo 1.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 3,685
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 3,707
  • photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 3,707
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 3,685
An excellent report. Thanks for posting. It's good to welcome you aboard.

Very nice and welcome, you must be in coastal Alaska. Going to have to do a hunt by canoe like that sometime looks like a ton of fun.

Thanks for the welcome guys...

Have been a lurker for a while, figured when I have something substantial to share I will post again,

Yep, coastal Alaska is right, did a boat in-drop off hunt out of Seward for black bear during the 4 day Memorial Day weekend

the bull moose was taken in the Mat-Su valley area Sept 2012

here's another pic of the beach where the bear was first spottedphoto 3 (2).JPG

Gosh darn, that is one of the coolest first posts I remember seeing around here! Awesome story, GREAT beat and great rifle. Welcome aboard and I'm glad you posted that up. Great pictures.

Sweet moose as well! It does sound like that 300 AB is very serious in the big 338's.

Swamplord

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

Looks like the big 338 300 gr AB has served you well.
I did some crop damage deer hunting with it last summer and was impressed with the results.
My MV is 2700 fps from a 338 RUM.

JD338

Back