minimum loads

adm1977

Beginner
Feb 16, 2013
Does anyone on here shoot minimum loads? I only shoot them and it seem all the rage to get the last little bit of velocity out any cartridge. I have had great success with them. I only hunt whitetail deer and varmints at modest ranges ( under 100 yards). I have never felt that I have been at a handicap using them. Maybe some day if I go out west I would load a heavier load, but never felt I needed them for the type of hunting I do. Just curious if I am in a minority by using them.

That is an interesting question. I don't shoot minimum loads, but I seldom shoot maximum loads. I load for accuracy rather than velocity. The difference between a minimum load and a maximum on some cartridges is not great, that's for sure.

Im with drmike. I load for accuracy. If accuracy was not an issue why not just buy factory. Sure I like knowing that I have velocity and energy to back my shots. But here in Co I have seen elk and muleys shot from 10-500 yrs and have seen a lot of factory ammunition faulter. I have also seen hand loads fail upon large bull elk. My other stand point would be if speed is not an issue why not shoot factory. The reason I load is to have ammunition that is faster and more accurate than what I could buy. If a powder and bullet combination does not work. There is a multitude of components that can be changed to achieve what I am lookin for. Not to say what you are loading is is bad. Its not. Hand loading is to load what works best for you. And it appears what you have works well. So for that congratulations. Loading for both speed and accuracy can be mind numbing from time to time.

All of my handloads are accurate enough for the kind of shooting I do. Some a definitely more accurate then others. I get great groups out of my 223 , but my 25-06 is really finicky. I am thinking in the 25-06 it might be because it is loaded so light. It is also easier on the shoulder then shooting full bore loads off the bench. My wife and kids sometimes soot also and it is easier for them to shoot lower recoiling loads. I have also tinkered with Hodgdon powder co. youth loads and had some excellent accuracy with them in my 7mm-08 and 120 grain ballistic tips. In all honesty I don't think any game animal would ever know if it was hit with a full power load or minimum load at any reasonable range. Economically it seems since there was a powder shortage for practice it would make sense even though powder seems to be showing up more regularly now. I am just kind of throwing this out there to see what everyone else has to say. It's raining here today and can't do anything outside right now.

I load for accuracy and velocity. I see no reason to load a 30-06 down to 308 levels. If I cannot find an accurate load with top velocities with certain components, I keep working and loading and changing components until I do. It's what I do, cuz I can, that's why I handload. If I wanted anemic velocities I would shoot Factory Ammo.

I've had good success with a minimum load from Nosler's manual for my .375 H&H.

It's their 260 gr AccuBond, with 69 grains of RL-15. This is also listed as the most accurate load, and it certainly has been accurate from my rifle. This only turns up 2620 fps, which leaves almost 200 fps available, if I wanted to run it harder.

Even at the sedate 2620 fps though, it's powerful, and sighted in at 200 yards, 300 is simply not a problem, on targets or on game.

It's also pretty easy on my shoulder, which I appreciate.

Yes, sometimes I load and shoot minimum loads, if that minimum load still suits my purpose.

Regards, Guy

DrMike":3010e3qg said:
That is an interesting question. I don't shoot minimum loads, but I seldom shoot maximum loads. I load for accuracy rather than velocity. The difference between a minimum load and a maximum on some cartridges is not great, that's for sure.

I will agree with Mike that I load for accuracy only, and I would say that 99.9% of the time it is not a max load. Most of my loads for my .308 and 30-06 are around midrange. So far all of the animals that I have shot have dropped regardless of super high velocity max loads. As long as I am comfortable with my rifle and shot placement that to me is the key to success.

Adm1977 - it's also worth noting that modest velocity loads tend to be less brutal on the bullet when it impacts game, even at close range. None of that over-expansion/under-penetration stuff!

Fascinating discussion. I was speaking with a friend today. He is purchasing a 270 for his daughter. I commented that when hunting with him, I have taken two moose, two elk and a whitetail with my 270WSM, all taken with a 130 grain E-Tip. Muzzle velocity on that bullet is only a skosh higher than what would commonly be witnessed from a 270. Yet, the load has always dropped game pretty quickly. It is accurate and deadly.

Adam, in the thick woods of PA, I would tend to agree with you, it doesn't make that much difference.

Out here in the wide open west, it's a little different, and I appreciate the benefits imparted by increasing velocity. LIke Dr. Mike, I load for accuracy first, but I try to find that accuracty near the top of the velocity range.

Part of the reason I'm focusing on nosler bullets is they will give you a representation of what the bullet "should" do at a given velocity so for me my goal is to load an accurate load and keep it within the desirable results within my predicted range mostly under 150 yards so some like the 280AI with a BT I will focus on a lower charge probably so I don't get it pushed too fast at close range

Given my range in NY & PA of 150 or less on average my acceptable accuracy is also a lot different than those of you shooting out West where 1.5" at 100 is going to open up a bit more at 3, 5, and 700

I was looking back over my notes and most of my minimum loads shoot in the 1" to 1 1/5" range at 100 yards in my big game rifles if I do my part. My varmint rifles shoot are usually between 3/4" and 1". There are some exceptions to this. My lever action 30-30 doesn't shoot as well as my 7mm-08, but it shoots well enough for the purpose it is intended for. I agree out west more velocity would be a benefit, but where I hunt a long shot is 100 yards. In fact the last three deer I have shot were under 20 yards and they all went down very fast. Two of them dropped where I shot them and the other went about 50 yards. I guess it really depends on what the individual want out of there firearm.

Years back a guy from Virginia decided to go antelope hunting with me. He thought I was crazy using a 20x scope and checking zeros every 100 yards out to the end of the range, 500 yards. He wanted to use a 75 yard zero, which he insisted was plenty far, but I insisted on a 250 yard zero. Once he saw those fast moving antelope in the open prarrie, his attitude changed in a big hurry. I killed a goat at 475 yards that day, and the next year he had a 300 RUM with a 20x Leupold, side focus, and mildots.

My point is local conditions are everything. My antelope rifle would be a lousy choice for white tails in PA, and visa versa. I would do what works for your hunting conditions, but if you ever decide to hunt in a different location, listen to the locals. If they make choices different then your, they are doing so for a reason.

Antelope_Sniper":1jsy3gyu said:
Years back a guy from Virginia decided to go antelope hunting with me. He thought I was crazy using a 20x scope and checking zeros every 100 yards out to the end of the range, 500 yards. He wanted to use a 75 yard zero, which he insisted was plenty far, but I insisted on a 250 yard zero. Once he saw those fast moving antelope in the open prarrie, his attitude changed in a big hurry. I killed a goat at 475 yards that day, and the next year he had a 300 RUM with a 20x Leupold, side focus, and mildots.

My point is local conditions are everything. My antelope rifle would be a lousy choice for white tails in PA, and visa versa. I would do what works for your hunting conditions, but if you ever decide to hunt in a different location, listen to the locals. If they make choices different then your, they are doing so for a reason.

Well stated, AS. Words of wisdom, to be sure.

Back