Vacation Part 2 Wbys

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
My 340 Wby with 28” HV barrel has me behind with a couple hiccups. HBN was a challenge at first. I fired formed a 100 pcs of brass and started load work up with the 300gr Nosler CC which didn’t go well. With HBN coating one would think bullets would seat easily , nope. The CC is a long bullet and with 0.002” neck tension I crushed a few necks. The bullet would gall up in the neck. So I moved on to the 250gr Speer Grand Slams with HBN coating and no issues. Settled on a good load with Hybrid 100V.
IMG_3626.jpeg
The 375 Wby had a great time with RL-17 not quite the same with N555.
Cast load with Blue Dot to fire form 140pcs of 375 H&H brass.
IMG_3525.jpeg
250gr TTSX Barnes and RL-17

IMG_3625.jpeg
Then I tried N555 with several bullets , even though I got good groups they can’t stack up to what RL-17 does in this rifle.
Hornady 300 gr BTSP and Barnes 300gr TSX , lost the Speer 270gr BTSP and N555 picture.
IMG_3760.jpegIMG_3759.jpeg

Onto the 416 Wby all I did here was add a Big Beast brake and confirm if my 350gr TTSX load was still good.
IMG_3585.jpegIMG_3631.jpeg

Friday I dug out the 460 Wby and had some fun. I haven’t shot the 500gr TSX load in over a year. This spring I worked up a 404 Hammer load for this fall. This day was about the 500gr TSX and trying out my BullsBag for my stand this fall. Cold bore and off of rest.
IMG_3715.jpegIMG_3762.jpeg

The BullsBag was something to shoot with. The benches are so low in town that I had to shim up the bag. Not so fun with a 460 but it worked. This was also shot with the higher velocity 500gr TSX load versus the one shot on the rest 2560 vs 2700 fps.
IMG_3716.jpegIMG_3763.jpeg

I’ve built a shelf in my stand that the bag will be used by itself.

Those will do!

I have had a bull bag for 25 years and use it all the time...even have it my truck on hunts in case I need it for whatever reason. Most often for some longer range practice in field settings for uphill/downhill, and cross ravine type scenarios.
As mentioned, sometimes needs a plank or two under it off the bench to make it work with rear bags.

The BullsBag was something to shoot with. The benches are so low in town that I had to shim up the bag. Not so fun with a 460 but it worked. This was also shot with the higher velocity 500gr TSX load versus the one shot on the rest 2560 vs 2700 fps.
View attachment 20403View attachment 20404

I’ve built a shelf in my stand that the bag will be used by itself.
Awesome shooting Wby's..

If you need to lift your bags, one of these has been really good for me.

Your 375 looks virtually identical to mine. Gloss action and barrel, green/black stock.

My only gripe with the Bull Bag is that if you're not careful the V hugs the stock so well that you can torque the stock if you need to move the rifle "just a bit" to get on target. If it's not lined up perfectly with the center, it can be an issue. As such, I moved to the Caldwell DeadShot for my front rest.

Your 375 looks virtually identical to mine. Gloss action and barrel, green/black stock.

My only gripe with the Bull Bag is that if you're not careful the V hugs the stock so well that you can torque the stock if you need to move the rifle "just a bit" to get on target. If it's not lined up perfectly with the center, it can be an issue. As such, I moved to the Caldwell DeadShot for my front rest.

What is your RL17 load.? I have not located anything with this powder.
Thanks for the help.

Rick

Back