Nikon

Touch not Squeeze,

Good insider G2 on the Leupold and Nikon scopes.
I'm have both Nikon and Leupold and do perfer the Leupold
VXII and Mark 4 scopes. I bought a Mark 4 4.5x14 30 mm tube,
that thing is bright!
Thanks for sharing.

JD338

Touch not Squeeze":3smqhd8s said:
POP":3smqhd8s said:
I just got a 4.5x14 Buckmaster mildot so I can play long range games on target on my 416 WBY. :lol: It has the side focus BTW. We will see.
What range are you looking to shoot? I have hit an 8" ding plate at 500 yards with my 270 Win Steyr SBS. I was zeroed at 200 yards, and just read what my ballistic tables said, and ding. I was thinking, "holy man that works." My scope, 2-7 Monarch, as this set up is my deer rifle. The guys shooting long range weapons at 300 yards, were a little mad. It was great, the first ding, the one guy says,"hey, you just hit that!" I said, really? I could not hear, because I was sitting next to a trash barrel, and was getting a sound from the barrel when the gun went off, but they could hear it plain as day. 130 gr bullet, 59.7 g of IMR 4831, pushes the bullet about 3250 fps at the muzzle.

I will start at 200 and work my way out to 600. This is what I am using...

http://gsgroup.co.za/fotis.html

HV2medium.jpg

BC is .565 I think

Nikon's have better glass than Leupold but for customer service Leupold is supreme. This is the reason why I own more Leupold than any other brand.

This is always a hot topic...like politics. Here are my two cents. I sold hunting equipment for a number of years, so of course got to see lots of different scopes and fiddle with them for hours on end..you get the picture. In years past I had always bought Leupold scopes. I compared some VX-III scopes with some Monarchs and in my opionion the Monarchs had better optics...less distortion off-center and a tad bit more clarity. The guy who managed the department(over 30 years) at first said I was crazy...then on the sly actually took the time to critically compare the two. A few weeks later he tells me that he has to admit that the Monarchs have better optics. I sold a lot of Nikon scopes and never once had a return or complaint...quite the contrary...many customers thanked me for recommending a super scope and saving them a few bucks(no pun intended). That said, I still own some Leupolds that were bought back when, and they work fine. I simply refuse to join the "cult" who thinks that Leupold is the only scope worth owning. I know this is heresy, but I have a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 1.5-6x that has super optics! Wouldn't trust it on an expensive hunt, but for 100 bucks(clearance) it's the best .22 scope in the world for the money. Normally I wouldn't use a Simmons on a cork gun but that particular model(the Phillipines made one) was a very nice scope for the money...it originally retailed for about $200.

Back