New Bullets for 25-06?

10 years or so ago, I was using what I thought was a pretty good "long-range" 25-06 load:

115 gr Berger VLD (.483 BC) with enough Retumbo to move it at 3190 fps & excellent accuracy.

Took three mule deer with it, 175 yards, 230 yards and 400 yards. All were instant drops. ROUGH on coyotes too!

I've returned to the 115 Ballistic Tip in more recent years, but I still have a couple of boxes of those Bergers, and time to time they tempt me. There wasn't a doggone thing wrong with their accuracy, or their effect on game.

Guy

:grin: Anyone else notice that our original poster is a one-post wonder, and hasn't been back since he opened this discussion?

But he got us talking about one of our favorite rifle cartridges, the 25-06 Rem...

Guy

Guy Miner":195kieun said:
:grin: Anyone else notice that our original poster is a one-post wonder, and hasn't been back since he opened this discussion?

But he got us talking about one of our favorite rifle cartridges, the 25-06 Rem...

Guy

He was on as recently as Feb 16. I notice that some people are hesitant to post much. Perhaps they feel inadequate, which is seldom the case if a person is genuinely sharing information or asking questions without an agenda. Perhaps others just simply become busy and discover they don't have time to post. Still, it is always a good thing to see people beginning to join in discussions. I've often thought of building a 25-06. It seems, in my estimate, to be ideal for deer-sized game. Just too many other projects to seize my attention.

Guy,
A 115gr bullet at 3200fps would most certainly wilt any deer that has ever walked on this earth
That must have been one wicked pill for them to swollow :(

35 Whelen":2cn2vf5m said:
I can't really take credit for this great RL 25 load; as a certain Marine that lurks around on here, actually was the orchestra of this loading, he is a pretty smart cookie, I think he goes by " Scootie" or something like that, he soposedly hates enclosed triggers and two piece bolts so be careful!
:lol: (you gotta really watch these fellas; that only go for an open trigger! :grin:

I'll keep an eye out for that fella.. Sounds like the rough and tumble sort you don't wanna leave lurking around your homestead too often :twisted:

Couldn't agree more, my little brother drew his first elk tag this fall and will likely use the 120 Partition out of his 257 Weatherby. I don't suspect he will have much trouble talking a cow into the Mystery Ranch..

SJB,
If you run into this ombré for gosh sakes don't mention you have an enclosed trigger or a two piece bolt,
That is the kiss of death for him! Consider him armed and dangerous ( especially with a Visa card) if it looks like it may come to blows, you can get outta any predicament with him by simply saying you are thinking of selling your Dads old pre 64 model 70 Winchester: he will imeadiately calm down and become very inquisitive
About the condition of the rifle, tell him is almost mint, you think it might be prewar, and that it has dark weird
Swirly wood ? Make sure to tell him you really don't need to get much for it, because you got it for nothing and
You would just like to see it go to a good home?
After that he will invite you bring it by his place asap, where he will insist you have a few toddys with him!
NEVER mention the word Portugal in front of him as that makes him nauseous instantly, and he will exhibit symptoms of vertigo and likely get sick if you slip and mention that word...........
Some of his closest associates say he is a " loose cannon" :mrgreen:

35 Whelen":cja0n32f said:
SJB,
If you run into this ombré for gosh sakes don't mention you have an enclosed trigger or a two piece bolt,
That is the kiss of death for him! Consider him armed and dangerous ( especially with a Visa card) if it looks like it may come to blows, you can get outta any predicament with him by simply saying you are thinking of selling your Dads old pre 64 model 70 Winchester: he will imeadiately calm down and become very inquisitive
About the condition of the rifle, tell him is almost mint, you think it might be prewar, and that it has dark weird
Swirly wood ? Make sure to tell him you really don't need to get much for it, because you got it for nothing and
You would just like to see it go to a good home?
After that he will invite you bring it by his place asap, where he will insist you have a few toddys with him!
NEVER mention the word Portugal in front of him as that makes him nauseous instantly, and he will exhibit symptoms of vertigo and likely get sick if you slip and mention that word...........
Some of his closest associates say he is a " loose cannon" :mrgreen:

Sound advice right there. I’ll heed these words and make sure to not slip up.

The original poster may have split, but this post is getting pretty darn entertaining!
V/R,
Joe

For you .25 guys I have two old boxes of 120 grain partitions. I don't own a 25 cal. I'd swap for a box of 150 or 165 gr BT; 338 250 gr AB or something in a 375.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":233vzfwf said:
For you .25 guys I have two old boxes of 120 grain partitions. I don't own a 25 cal. I'd swap for a box of 150 or 165 gr BT; 338 250 gr AB or something in a 375.

Let me check my shelves Don. I might have some stuff to swap.

SJB358":1bwusp0b said:
salmonchaser":1bwusp0b said:

I could always use something in 6.5 as well,

salmonchaser":29yuvqm7 said:
SJB358":29yuvqm7 said:
salmonchaser":29yuvqm7 said:

I could always use something in 6.5 as well,

I have some of that as well.

I have an old 700. Just retired from the oil field and need to work up a new load. I used the old screw turned 115 partitions and max load of IMR 4831. When Nosler changed the Partition bullets, I never got the new ones to shoot as well. I have some 110 Accubonds and will try them. 300 yards is a long shot for me and if I can get a good load with the 110 AccuBond I'll use that bullet.

Back