Lapua vs Norma brass

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I have no experience with either Lapua or Norma brass. Is there any material difference in quality of brass quality between these two brands?
Keith

Lapua is the toughest brass commonly available... It'll take hotter loads better than others... It is also manufactured to very tight specs.

Norma is also excellent brass.... But often a little soft.

I have experience with both in 6.5x55 as well as PRVI partisan. I found the Norma to have a bit of memory in the neck. Probably could have been solved with some annealing, but I tossed the lot instead after several firings. Was loading near the lands with a long match bullet so neck tension was a non-issue for me. Both produced highly accurate ammo with many loadings.

Ditto for PRVI. Physical properties and case life very similar to Lapua. Also very stout brass. Perhaps a bit less consistency, but I don't shoot bench rest or F-class to 1000 yards so really also a non-factor for me. Outshoots it's price point and far better than Win, Fed, Rem or Hornady.

Norma brass in my experience has always been top quality and I believe that Norma also manufactures Nosler's brass as well. I have never used Laupa brass but have a number of buddies that swear by it.
I personally have not had any problems with either Norma or Nosler (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Either Lapua or Norma manufacture superb brass, Keith. You will be pleased with either.

I've got both ,and feel they are both top shelf . if you buy either one take a look at the primer pockets . what a difference between machined pockets and punched pockets .

sask boy":1j8h4ue5 said:
Norma brass in my experience has always been top quality and I believe that Norma also manufactures Nosler's brass as well. I have never used Laupa brass but have a number of buddies that swear by it.
I personally have not had any problems with either Norma or Nosler (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I thought Nosler acquired silver state armory (ssa) to produce Noslers brass back in 2014?

If I have a choice, I love Lapua but I do use a bunch of Norma as well. Lapua is tough stuff.

Between the two, Lapua hands down. I would use nothing but Lapua IF they made more caliber choices.

OU812":wb67m0dr said:
Between the two, Lapua hands down. I would use nothing but Lapua IF they made more caliber choices.

YES, exactly. If only I could lobby for some 300 Win brass for my 7 Mashburn :lol:

SJB358":3vsrrj6v said:
OU812":3vsrrj6v said:

YES, exactly. If only I could lobby for some 300 Win brass for my 7 Mashburn :lol:

Get some 300 Rum while you're at. :lol:

OU812":yrb3iqgt said:
SJB358":yrb3iqgt said:
OU812":yrb3iqgt said:

Get some 300 Rum while you're at. :lol:

I hear people complain about the price right up until they actually use it. Don't hear much complaining after that.

I'm a believer in Lapua after using it in the 6x47. Started using it in the 30-06 and converting the 243 AI over now.

Back