Great day on Saturday

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
We (my part time Officer Justin, his 3 kids, my daughter, grand daughter and I) took 56 bottles filed with water along with us to the Range. Most were either 2 Liter or 20 Oz Pop Bottles.

We started the two young girls (Justin's daughter Avery - 10, and my grand daughter Sterling - 12) out at 50 yards on the 2 Liter Pop Bottles. Neither had ever shot a center fire rifle other than the .243's at the Step Outside Program and that was 2 shots each. Avery used Justin' 16" AR-15 that I built for him out of Olympic, DPMS and Smith & Wesson parts) and Sterling used my 16" DPMS Oracle AR-15.

We gave each girl 4 shots, then we'd switch shooters (one at a time). Then we got both set up and alternated shots. If one would miss then the other got to shoot. The that hit the bottle then got bonus shots to shoot at the bottles at 100 yards. Sterling missed her first bonus shot at 100 yards, but the next time around at 100 yards she smoked 3 in a row.

I also sighted in my nephew's Remington Model 700 Stainless Synthetic BDL in .30-06. It has a 3x9x40 Nikon Pro Staff Riflescope on it just like when I sold it to him several years ago. The load (yep my handloads) 59.0grs. H-4350 / 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I did have to adjust the scope a bit as it was about 4 1/2" high and an inch the right at 100 yards. However it did shoot it's usual 3/4" group. In no time I had it right where I wanted it at 2 1/4" high at 100 yards.

Justin's boys shot some water jugs at 100 yards and when we were out of water jugs called it a day.

On the way home from the range I asked Sterling if she wanted to go Deer Hunting this afternoon. She said SURE. Once we got home we unloaded the Blazer, loaded up the Deer Sled, grabbed my back pack, made sure we had Sterling's License and headed out.

We ventured south of the Dam Road into the Mud Lake Lake Bottom but ran into more people that blades of grass so it would seem. Goose Hunters, Pheasant Hunters and Archery Hunters. I decided we'd head for private property west of town.

We went to my favorite rock pile and parked the Blazer behind the rock pile. By the time we got set up it was about 1/2 hour till sun set. We were only there a matter of a few minutes when down below us a deer emerged from the cat tails. The deer made it's way out on the combined bean field, then another, then another.

These 3 fed their way up a draw to the east of us a couple hundred yards. I told Sterling and Nicole to keep watching that ridge as they generally come west along either side of the fence line. Sure enough soon they spotted ears coming over the ridge. They fed to a point about 35 - 40 yards to the east of us down in the bottom of a draw. It was a young doe and two fawns. Sterling was at the ready behind the DPMS AR-15 loaded with handloaded 65gr. Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boat Tails but I didn't give her the go ahead to shoot.

They were all so close in size I really could not tell which was the doe. In the end I think they spotted me move and we were BUSTED.

They ran to the east and disappeared about 1/4 mile away into the cat tails. We'd no more got comfortable again and Nicole spotted a different deer about 1/4 mile to the east of us. I am thinking the 3 that ran into the cat tails over there got this one moving and out of the cat tails. This one looked good sized and a lot darker in color. I told Sterling if this one gets in range in time I would have her try for this one.

Over the next 10 to 15 minutes the deer fed to the west and all of a sudden was directly in front of us at about 50 yards. We were so intent on watching the deer we almost forgot what we were there for. When it would put it's head down to feed Sterling and I would inch into position. I had spotted a nice flat rock in the rock pile we were sitting next to. Sterling and I inched our way up on top of the rock pile as the deer disappeared behind a knoll. I flipped the legs of the bipod down and placed the DPMS AR-15 on the flat rock.

Sterling got into a kneeling position behind the rock on the DPMS. I couldn't locate the deer. I whispered to Sterling it'll be coming out in the tall grass to the west of us. I kept watching and all of a sudden saw the deer, it was coming south on the dirt trail immediately next to us and below us. Sterling couldn't get the right angle so I whispered for her to get ready and let the deer walk into her line of sight.

Almost on que the deer took a few steps and froze looking right at us. I whispered to Sterling to put the crosshairs in the center of the white patch under the deer's chin since the deer was facing us. Just as I whispered that to Sterling the deer turned it's head and looked to the west. I whispered WAIT till it turns it head. I had no sooner said that and the deer turned and looked right at us.

I whispered to Sterling take you time, put the crosshair right on the white patch under it's chin and when the crosshairs are rock solid squeeze the trigger. I no sooner stopped whispering when the DPMS ROARED TO LIFE and the deer dropped in it's tracks.

As Sterling and I made our way to the downed deer and I hollered at Nicole to go to the Blazer and drive to where the deer was. I think Sterling broke a speed record running to her mom to give her a hug and scream I GOT IT.

That was the very first deer Sterling has ever shot. In fact that was the very first time Sterling has ever went Deer Hunting. Yes she has come along a time or two when I have shot a couple Deer but this was the first time STERLING WAS THE HUNTER.

After it was all over I said a little prayer of thanks to the good lord as this is the way a young persons first hunt should go.

Turned out it was a smallish buck. It had an antler on one side not quite as long as my index finger. On the other side the antler was bent down tight against the side of the deer's head. All in all a nice deer that should taste mighty good.

RosiesFIRSTDeer_zps99feddb8.jpg

Not the best photo but we neglected to take the camera with us when we went hunting. I don't get much time for myself these days due to my wife's health condition so days like Saturday are extra special. Plus my grand daughter up until August lived in North Dakota and was not able to hunt with me here in South Dakota. Now that her, her mom and dad live in South Dakota maybe we can have more hunts like this in the future.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

Grandad you taught your granddaughter well, great shooting. she will remember that moment for the rest of her life.

Congrats on a great day at the range and a good shot by that young lady! Way to go. Great story.

Man, that is a great account. I found myself holding my breath as I willed Sterling to drop a deer. Congratulations to her, and to you for being present for her first game. Sounds like a wonderful time at the range, as well. Congratulations all around, Larry.

Thanks DrMike. I am very fortunate in that I have now been involved in all 3 of my grand children taking their FIRST Deer. The two girls (MacKenzie and Sterling who we all call Rosie as that is her middle name) have shot indoor bench rest with custom 10/22's I built for a couple years now. That and the time exploding water jugs helped a lot.

In addition my good friend the local conservation officer puts on an excellent Step Outside Program each fall for youth ages 8 through 16 where they go to several different stations and get to shoot Rifles (Rimfire, Centerfire & Muzzleloader) Archery and Shotguns along with several other activities. The very first year we had like 40 kids involved. This past September we had 130+ kids go through the program. This program has really helped gets our youth pumped up about shooting and hunting. All of the area sportsmans clubs as well as DU and Pheasants Forever get involved and help out. Every year I run one of the Rifle Stages for the kids, generally the rimfire stage. It is a lot of work but super rewarding.

Larry

Larry, thank you for posting this great story with photos. Congratulations to your beautiful granddaughter. Having these great times with family is priceless!
They will never forget them.
I hope your wife is feeling better & can join in with you!!

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks

I do not think my wife will ever be able to go hunting again. Her ALS condition is getting worse by the day. She now has not been able walk or stand alone since the middle of August. Her condition is getting much worse way faster than I ever thought possible.

Larry

Dreadful disease, Larry; it took a favourite aunt of mine. I pray God's grace to your wife and to your family. Again, what a special gift to Sterling, and what a special time you enjoyed.

Back