444 The versatile lever.

A couple of years ago there was a great Layne Simpson article on the 444 in an Aussie gun rag. I imagine it was a reprint from a US magazine so keep your eye out for it Fotis.

Nearly ended up with a 444 myself but was really after a short barreled one and none were available, so ended up with a JM 1895GBL in the 45-70 and couldn't be happier, though I am sure the 444 with 240g bullets would have been just as good on the pigs.

Layne Simpson raved about the 280g Swift IIRC for everything including moose.

When I was a teenboy in early 80s I read Shooters Bible and Gun Digests I found in our public library here in Denmark. I think it was the Shooters Bible they had cartridge line-ups in the rear of the book from Remington-Peters. I didn´t understood all too much of the english/American Words...but numbers I did get!!.
I was always looking at that very cartridge with the three "4s" as something magic and different(special).
If I got one of those Shooters Bible again from that time and looked at the cartridge line-ups..I would recollect every thought I had back then.
Yes I know the .45-70 Gov´t has more HP..but the three 4s has more "magic"....

That 444 is real cool! I need to pull mine out and run some rounds through it! Been awhile!

DrMike":1zp1mp61 said:
Those are definitely enviable groups, Fotis. Excellent riflery.

Thanks Mike!
:mrgreen:

Back