380 ACP And XTP's

Ha. Good for you. I find it best to remove any hammers or other easily thrown heavy objects when I'm working on something that might involve finger smashing. In my younger days when my temper was worse I surely beat the world record a few times for the distance a hammer was thrown. :ROFLMAO:

It occurred to me that if you need 200+ rounds of self defense ammo, it might be a good time to rethink how you’re living 😂😂

Correct or not I was always under the mindset that close quarter self defense with a handgun, anything you needed that for would be over in short order. So there's really no need for a large amount of ammo on hand. But if a person is thinking of being prepared for the unexpected, and deterring things before it's up close and personal, an ample amount of rifle rounds on the other hand is not a bad idea.

Correct or not I was always under the mindset that close quarter self defense with a handgun, anything you needed that for would be over in short order. So there's really no need for a large amount of ammo on hand. But if a person is thinking of being prepared for the unexpected, and deterring things before it's up close and personal, an ample amount of rifle rounds on the other hand is not a bad idea.
Those little xtp’s are relatively cheap, so I keep them on hand to shoot up a few at the range when I go, rather than keep some “plinkers” around, too. Those will last me a year or so.

While what you state ideally is true....
practice, practice and more practice is always critical.

Oh and did I mention.....

practice?

The cost difference between an fmj round and xtp isn't that much especially when loading your own ammo.

We all HOPE we'll never NEED those defense rounds but if we do it's best we're absolutely dead on accurate and know our weapon like it's a tight fittingç latex glove.

I only load the Lehigh defense defender bullets for defense. They don't have to expand to cause massive wound cavities and they create more trauma than jacket at hollow points and all this from a full metal jacket. For practice I basically do powdered cast bullets to save money

Attachments

• 20221212_164349.jpg
    20221212_164349.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 6
I only load the Lehigh defense defender bullets for defense. They don't have to expand to cause massive wound cavities and they create more trauma than jacket at hollow points and all this from a full metal jacket. For practice I basically do powdered cast bullets to save money
That company is across the state from me never tried their stuff as of yet.

What grain are those in .45 from your picture

Boy can you say P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E
Ppfftt
I just measured, trimmed,measured again chamfered, deburred a 50 cal ammo can full of 5.56 brass

That wasn't patience...
That was
I-N-S-A-N-I-T-Y

Next time time I will NOT wait so long!!!

Loaded up 200 of 380 ACP with the Hornady XTP's on the single stage and, contrary to my history with this little round, I didn't smash my fingers once!

View attachment 18453View attachment 18454
I love those XTP's, I use the 210 grain hollow points in the 41 Magnum Smith and Wessons Classic Hunter. They do pack a punch at close to 1600 fps with H110. Once shot a large boar, hit him in the cheek head on at 25 yards, and shattered the jawbone and continued through the neck, chest cavity and wound up in the rear ham under the hide. The bullet has specks of broken bone chips in the lead. Left bullet in the first picture.
WkCYVcdl.jpg

Right bullet was when i saw a large sow bedded with a group of hogs down in a ravine and I was above it, and fired it into its upper torso and the bullet passed through and embedded into the mud underneath it. It's a great bullet. It also comes with a full metal jacket as well, but I prefer the hollow point. Have stuck with it ever since.
eHCq0Prl.jpg

I love those XTP's, I use the 210 grain hollow points in the 41 Magnum Smith and Wessons Classic Hunter. They do pack a punch at close to 1600 fps with H110. Once shot a large boar, hit him in the cheek head on at 25 yards, and shattered the jawbone and continued through the neck, chest cavity and wound up in the rear ham under the hide. The bullet has specks of broken bone chips in the lead. Left bullet in the first picture.
WkCYVcdl.jpg

Right bullet was when i saw a large sow bedded with a group of hogs down in a ravine and I was above it, and fired it into its upper torso and the bullet passed through and embedded into the mud underneath it. It's a great bullet. It also comes with a full metal jacket as well, but I prefer the hollow point. Have stuck with it ever since.
eHCq0Prl.jpg
Hmmm, I’ve been considering the .45 version wrapped in a 50 sabot for the muzzleloader for deer.

Hmmm, I’ve been considering the .45 version wrapped in a 50 sabot for the muzzleloader for deer.
I use the 44 cal xtp in a sabot.

I'd hear some say you can't use that if the twist is too slow.
BULL.
I've a few muzzleloaders...
pa hunter
white mountain carbine
some old lyman
they all shoot better with a sabot and bullet
Shoots better than any patch and ball no matter the twist.

Back