35 cal 200 gr Accubond from black bear.

Finished butchering it all up tonight, some roasts from the backstraps and everything else will be sausage and some ground meat. Looking forward to making some sausage this weekend. This bear looks to have been very clean, no "bear" smell on the meat at all. On the backstraps there was over 1" of fat so he must have done well last fall before denning.

I must also say there was a surprising lack of bloodshot meat considering bone was hit in each shoulder, I was expecting worse. Yes, the 200 gr AccuBond is an impressive bullet. I have used 225's mostly in the past and never thought I would change but the 200 gr AB and TTSX definitely work well......

Gerry, it does sound as if he was well fed before denning up last winter and then enjoyed a mild winter. Moreover, it sounds as if he has already found pretty good feed. The black bear I helped Jason butcher did not have anywhere near that amount of fat. He wasn't devoid of fat, but there wasn't much on him.

I don't think they have been out long but you never know. This should help tie us over till late summer or fall, the freezer was getting pretty low on game meat.

Congrats on the Nice Blackie there GERRY ! So the 35 Whelen can Kill hey ! :lol: Lol My boy willl like that too ! :grin: RJ

Thanks RJ, like I have said before your son has great taste in cartridges :lol:

Congratulations Gerry!

Nice job on the bear, by you and the bullet!

Regards, Guy

I apologize gerry for missing this post :(. That 200gr AB sure did the job it was meant to do. I hope the sausage turned out well :wink:.
Thank you for letting me know about it. I sure enjoyed reading & looking at the photos:)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks Dan, it's a great load and since we did the trade I'll have more of them for quite a few more years.

We did make up a bit and it was ok, going to try another recipe soon and see if it turns out better. I would love to find a good recipe for cheese smokies, man those are good :)

Back