35 225 gr Accubond from moose

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Thought I should post this in here too.
225 gr AccuBond recovered from a moose shot through the chest and found in the hide on the opposite side. 191 gr (84.9%) diameter .710" Impact velocity around 2675-2700 fps. This is probably the best all around bullet available for the 35 Whelen in my opinion, Nosler's Partitions are great too.

004-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

It certainly did the trick, Gerry. Are you planning on using this same load for elk in the Peace?

I may Mike I dialed in the Ballistic Plex to 300 yards and it is good to go. Was still hoping to use the 264 WM I will bring both guns when we come over the the Peace. I'm hoping to get a calf elk now since the freezer will be full, a calf will taste great I'm sure :)

There are a lot of calves this year. Good luck. That time is coming up quickly.

Gerry congratulations on the beast! That's great performance and awesome penetration from the old Nosler bullets! Picture perfect I would say. Thanks for posting and good luck on the calf. Now get one that does not have milk on his lips!! :p :p

I don't think that you could ask for a whole lot better. I sure hope that mine is close to being completed :mrgreen:
I can't wait to get it home.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":5ghm7qs3 said:
I don't think that you could ask for a whole lot better. I sure hope that mine is close to being completed :mrgreen:
I can't wait to get it home.

Blessings,
Dan

I'm sure you will like yours, it will be worth the wait. The 35 Whelen in my mind is one of the classic rounds for moose and elk, with any one of the 3 bullets Nosler offers you're in business. This is my third moose with the Whelen took the other two with the Barnes 225 gr TSX and the discontinued 225 gr Ballistic Tip. My brother took 2 with the 225 gr Partitions when he still had a Whelen, all the moose died quickly.

Thanks for posting this info as I have been thinking about grabing a box of these to replace the old BTips that I am presently almost out of! The performance looks fine to me, so I guess Nosler just sold another box!

35 Whelen":37dyogie said:
Thanks for posting this info as I have been thinking about grabing a box of these to replace the old BTips that I am presently almost out of! The performance looks fine to me, so I guess Nosler just sold another box!

The 225 gr Ballistic Tip was a great bullet but the AccuBond is even better for big animals since it won't lose it's core. You will be pleased with the performance of this bullet.

gerry":1a233buk said:
35 Whelen":1a233buk said:

The 225 gr Ballistic Tip was a great bullet but the AccuBond is even better for big animals since it won't lose it's core. You will be pleased with the performance of this bullet.

That is the only real bullet that has me tempted to mess with the 35 Whelen... I am not sure what I would gain over the 250, but it would be a little less expensive to shoot! Scotty

That is impressive performance on an animal the size of a moose! I hope the 200 AB works as well in my 338-06 for moose.

How do ya'll think the AccuBond would perform at .358 Win velocities on moose. I am shooting a BLR with a 20" barrel. Would I be better off with the speer 225 or 250 hot cores at the lower velocities with the 358 win?
Thanks; John (newbie)

jpsloan":2fobpkiq said:
How do ya'll think the AccuBond would perform at .358 Win velocities on moose. I am shooting a BLR with a 20" barrel. Would I be better off with the speer 225 or 250 hot cores at the lower velocities with the 358 win?
Thanks; John (newbie)
John I have done some bullet testing in water jugs out to 500 yards with the Partition, AccuBond, and E-tip. The Accubonds open up very nicely at the reduced speeds at 500 yards and I would personally feel very comfortable in them opening up and performing very well for you at the slower speeds of your 358 Winchester. I would shoot them with confidence.

First off, welcome aboard, John. Trust you find a warm and ready welcome among this crowd of gun cranks and hunters. The AccuBond will work quite well when launched from your BLR. In fact, that is a great cartridge/rifle combination to carry afield for moose. I dropped my last moose with the 338 Federal using the 200 grain E-Tip. I've taken a couple of moose and elk with either the .356 or the .358. The 200 grain AccuBond performs quite well in the .358--so well, that I picked up four more boxes of bullets this week.

I think the only issue you might have is seating an AB deep enough to work through the BLRS magazine. Might be up over the ogive pretty quick.

Back