200 AB - 35 Whelen 2800fps

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
This bullet has really tested my patience on accuracy. I've shot them slow, hot, short, long.. I just can't seem to find the sweet spot. Its a shame too, them look real nice coming out of the jugs. This one exited jug# 5 and bounced off of 6 and was found on my sheet of plywood. It weighed 147.5 for 74% weight retention.

U5su8Mn0vcAR7Hm3tadrEE_NIlOEX3uT2r8-k_OQq2o3=w356-h383-no

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

Dan

Performance is classic, even if the accuracy you seek isn't adequate. I've had a few rifles that didn't like AccuBonds, no matter what I tried. Fortunately, we live in a time when there is a great variety of quality bullets to work with.

That is some excellent performance, love that bullet.

One thing I have found when it comes to accuracy is some lots of R-P brass are terrible when it comes to seating bullets straight so that may be part of the problem if you are using those. I had the same problem in the past but finally figured it out after measuring the run out with a RCBS Casemaster.

That is some impressive performance. Too bad you can't get it to shoot.
Give the 225 gr PT a try. ;)

JD338

I've got some Lapua 30-06 brass you could easily make into 35 Whelen brass...this brass shrunk my groups, my ES, and my SD...all by a very noticeable margin.

96 pieces I think...

JD338":cn7bkv3n said:
That is some impressive performance. Too bad you can't get it to shoot.
Give the 225 gr PT a try. ;)

JD338

Jim, So far... My experience with the 225AB has been worse than the 200..

gerry":cn7bkv3n said:
That is some excellent performance, love that bullet.

One thing I have found when it comes to accuracy is some lots of R-P brass are terrible when it comes to seating bullets straight so that may be part of the problem if you are using those. I had the same problem in the past but finally figured it out after measuring the run out with a RCBS Casemaster.

Gerry, It is R-P Brass..

I ran another 200 in the jugs yesterday. A little hotter load, very similar results. 5 jugs 73% weight retention

DSC_0659.JPG

DSC_0657.JPG

Next To a 225 Partition

DSC_0666.JPG

DSC_0665.JPG

Don't know if this will help you since I don't know what powder your using or what twist your barrel is but here is a load I stumbled on that works out of my M700 factory barrel 1-16 twist.
200gr Ab R-P brass 54.0grs IMR8208XBR CCI 200 primer OAL measured from tip of bullet to base of cartridge 3.425". I got this OAL by seating the bullet to the depth of the the caliber size .358".
This load shoots a 3 shot group at 100yds out of my rifle .344"X.149". 61.0grs of Varget in Nosler brass cci 200 same OAL lenght 3.425" will put 3 shots into 1.389"X.634".
I have found for my rifle that seating boat tails to caliber depth to start will produce better accuracy out of my rifles. I also use that as a starting point for all bullets in all calibers. Not very scientific but I read some wheres long ago that that was how to find a starting point when seating bullets for your rifle for the first time and it has worked for me. Loads with RL15 gets larger yet 61grs open up even more 2,393"X1.270".
I may be wrong but it seems to me at least in my rifle the harder you push this bullet the more the groups open up.

Both of those performed exactly as expected. Dang dare I say it again that Nosler makes some mighty fine bullets!! I wish you could get the Accubonds to group well for you.

David

The bullets will never be a problem when you shoot game. Excellent post.

6mm Remington":109xq8ez said:
Both of those performed exactly as expected. Dang dare I say it again that Nosler makes some mighty fine bullets!! I wish you could get the Accubonds to group well for you.

David

David,
While talking to Scotty, he suggested a pressure point... So, I bedded a piece of rubber washer into the barrel channel and it has really tightened up the groups from this rifle.
Well Enough that I would not mind hunting with it now. I look forward to busting a whitetail with one of those Accubonds. I must say however, the 225 Partition was pretty impressive on the buck I shot last year.

DSC_0620.JPG

Very nice. Man, those picture sure get a guys blood pumping for the 35 Whelen.

JD338

Man that looks great, love that bullet. Good that you are getting better groups now with the pressure point.

Rodger, I would think your 54 gr IMR 8208/200 gr AB load should be in the 2700-2750 fps range which will work great on deer for sure, bet it has mild recoil too.

Great results Dano. I wouldn't mind trying one of them out of my 35 Newton. They should fly well for my normal hunting ranges I shoot..

gerry":hyu2y6bz said:
Man that looks great, love that bullet. Good that you are getting better groups now with the pressure point.

Rodger, I would think your 54 gr IMR 8208/200 gr AB load should be in the 2700-2750 fps range which will work great on deer for sure, bet it has mild recoil too.
They are very comfortable off the bench gerry.

Back